30 Something Moms

Julie78ken
Separation anxiety
January 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Just in the past few weeks when I drop my 3 year old daughter off at daycare I have to peel her off of me as she is crying. I just breaks my heart. Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas to make this easer in her and me?

Replies

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    January 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM

YOu need to find out if everything there is going okay. For her to suddenly be this way is a red flag to me. Talk with the peole there and especailly ask her why she is feeling this way. There is a reason why she doesn't want to be there.

• BeachMommy07
    January 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Quoting GELiz:

YOu need to find out if everything there is going okay. For her to suddenly be this way is a red flag to me. Talk with the peole there and especailly ask her why she is feeling this way. There is a reason why she doesn't want to be there.

• JasonsMom2007
    January 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    I used to work in preschool and daycare so I've seen the other side a lot. give her something special to keep with her all day that she can look at and remember how much you love her. read her books like llama llama misses mama and the kissing hand. talk to her and see if there is a reason she doesn't want you to leave. maybe somebody is doing something she doesn't like. role play school with her as the daycare provider. that will show you how she perceives her daycare provider.
    how long has she gone to this daycare?
  • annalukse
    January 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    Hi it s hard to separate from your kids wjen you have to go to work. To make it somehwat easier try talking to her before getting to daycare and let her know you be back soon and how mich fun she is going to have. I hope this helps.
  • Julie78ken
    January 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I did not even of it that way. I will ask her why she does not want to go. Thanks!

• momtoblueeyes
    January 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    My 3 yr old did that too. She was better at age 2 than 3 but now she's turning 4 and its gotten wayyyy better :)
  • Julie78ken
    January 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM

She has gone there for  almost 2 years

• shamroc374
    January 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    My son did the same exact thing. He cried the first day and then was fine for about 6 months, right after he turned 3 he started screaming and holding on to me and not letting go. He loved the day care, he just didn't want me to leave. I think they start understanding the concept of time around 3 and start to notice how long it feels that you are away from them. My son would cry, fuss, and cling to me, I would hug on him and tell him how much I loved him and then left. Usually around 5 to 10 minutes later I would get a call from the daycare that he was playing and having fun. Then when I went to pick him up he would see me and start crying again. He was just experiencing seperation anxiety and I think he would start worrying I wasn't coming back since I was gone for so long. I think that before they turn 3 and they are at daycare playing, they do not realize how long mommy is gone 5 minutes coulld be the same as 5 hours to them. At age 3 they start understanding that they do the same things everyday at the same time. This helps them realize that the amount of time taking place. Children also know what activity they are doing everyday when you pick them up. If they do this activity and you do not come at your normal time, it scares them. I would just watch your daughters behaviors. Drop by and watch the class to see how she is doing without her or her teachers seeing you. You can observe her behavior to see if she is having fun, or if she is withdrawn from the class, this will also allow you to observe the teachers and how they interact with the children to see if there is a problem there. Sorry if this seems a bit scatterbrained. I have already taken my sleep pill and it is working and making my brain shut down for the night. Good luck!
  • KylesMom409
    January 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    Bump!
  • e-doolittle
    January 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM

If he was separating well and now is not, I'd try to find out if something happened.  But kids can also go through phases.  Good luck!

30 Something Moms