30 Something Moms

hismommy2010
Would u pick a babysitter from online, also whats todays goin rate for babysitting?
January 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

Replies

• crwspringer
    January 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM
    $50 for a 10 hour day at least.
  • untidyone
    January 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I found great success with Care.com. We pay between $10-$15/ hr depending on the sitter.

• JP-StrongForTwo
    January 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM

You will get there! That was me for so long! we lived in apartments. and i did have one neighbor i sat for, but she moved away. it took so long to be able to have the space when we moved into our condo, and then now our new house. rebuilding a clientele in a new area though, its hard! LOL 

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I wish I could do this too! Being that I can't afford day care costs, and I know how horrid it feels, I'd love to run a daycare from home and charge much less while giving them more love and personal care. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for such a venture, so it will just have to wait until I do :)

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Yes. And i run a daycare from home, with most of my clients coming from online, from sittercity.com, care.com, care4hire.com etc. 

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rates are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

for a day, i would say 20 is fine honestly. 

• RabsBaby
    January 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    I'm so thankful that I was able to leave my little one right at home with his sister (22 years older than him! LoL) when I had to return to work. I pay her $150 a week, which amounts to $30 a day. I am now about to start looking into home daycares, hopefully I can find something reasonable near my home. My daughter is ready to start looking for work & I can't expect her to stop her life for me. I am very thankful for the time she has spent with him. Hopefully she'll do a few more months ;-)
  • Aslen
    by Aslen
    January 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    Care.com
    Nannys and sitters that have backround checks, reviews, and pay.
    That is about the only site id use
  • AuntyEm774
    January 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    Here daycare seems to range from 2.50 to 3.50 an hour. Many daycares also have a reduced rate for additional kids from the same family. I pay $2 per hour/per kid when the neighbor kids bbsit.
  • Mitzi31
    by Mitzi31
    January 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

$35 a day seems like very little to be responsible for someone elses children especially infants. Of course I wouldn't want to pay more than that but I wouldn't do it for that, lol. I would assume $10 - $12 an hr seems reasonable even if you provide food and everything.

30 Something Moms