30 Something Moms

hismommy2010
Would u pick a babysitter from online, also whats todays goin rate for babysitting?
January 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

Replies

• tifferie
    January 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    I found my old sitter on Craigslist. Apparently we had the same friends and she knew some of my family. I checked her out and asked around. She was one of the best sitters I ever had.
  • Ali5683
    by Ali5683
    January 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I found mine online but did a lot of research first. My son has been going to her for almost 2 years now. I pay $120 per week for full time.

• one_on_the_way
    January 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Is there a college/university nearby where you live?  I work at the Employment Office at a University and a lot of people in our community call and post childcare jobs on our University Website --- it's great because they can request to have an Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education major.  The University students get a great opportunity to do something they love and the parents in our community are able to get qualified students to care for their child -- rate is usually $7.00 - $10.00/hour (depends on # of kids and how many hours the sitter is needed)

• mom2boys664
    January 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

We got our babysitters from sittercity.com and are absolutely thrilled.  There are some nanny's but mostly adult women offering babysitting services.  You can read reviews, look at their availabilty, backround checks are optional and I did not choose to do one.  The girl we got is 21, a part time college student and works at her parents preschool (which I was able to look up on my state's website) and she also has a sister a few years older that will watch the kids.  They have been so great, we actually moved our youngest to their parent's preschool.  We pay $15/hr, but we have 3 little boys that are very active and I just wouldn't be comfortable with a teenager.

• la_bella_vita
    January 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I wouldn't but I have a big family full of people willing to baby sit.

Bump

• MrS.GiFFord
    January 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I found one of my best friends on craigslist. I put an ad up to babysit and she inquired...we have been close ever since!

• Mommy4000
    January 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I charged $2/hour/child when I did home daycare. I provided all meals, activities and even offered preschool for 4 years and up. You can find good people anywhere, you just have to make sure you trust your instincts, call references and if they aren't on a babysitting site, do the background check yourself. I don't think it cost more than $20 to do.

• livn4hevn
    January 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I wouldn't. I used the babysitting hire sites and still met with the potential sitters ahead of time, went to their homes, etc. Even with sittercity, I  wanna make sure.

And those ladies were charging 10 an hour, MINIMUM. Usually 15, or 20 because I had three kids. I got a woman to watch our kids for 10 an hour, only because all three of them were sleeping. She came over with her two teenage daughters and watched movies on my couch all night... and I PAID HER to do it. Mad me mad lol. So I never called her again. MAYBE $5 an hour for that BS... def not 10.

No, I wouldn't use craiglist. I would ask a friend first, or meet people at church, or use a sitter website. But not a local ad. Esp if you aren't certified- CPR/First Aide, etc... or an actual in-home childcare provider.

• aus14
    by aus14
    January 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We pay $80 per week and a $10 supply fee a month. She supplys the food (she make home cooked meals for the kids) I think she is $15 a day. In Texas they have a site where you can see the violations that licensed child care facitilies have...

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    January 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I always went through friend's recommendations to find sitters for DD. A total stranger off the net ? Would be an absolute last resort, I would have to meet / interview her first.  I don't believe in recommendations because they can easily be bull.  God knows I've been used countless times as a fake recommendation so friends or aquaintances could land jobs.

30 Something Moms