30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
hismommy2010
Would u pick a babysitter from online, also whats todays goin rate for babysitting?
January 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

Replies

• trulyblessed618
    January 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM
    I would not hire a total stranger.... I would be to nervous. I live in ny and pay 10$ an hr for my two twin boys 2 1/2.
  • captaincw322
    January 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM
    We haven't had to hire any strangers to watch our kids, but I don't think I would use an online site... When I did have a girl I know watch dd and ss I paid $10 an hour if it was just dd and $15 an hour if ss was there too. Kids are 4 and 2.

Quoting hismommy2010:

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

• SparklingHope
    January 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I would not pick some random person from the internet to watch my child. NOT EVER! o.O

I have a bunch of church family people I can chose from and I have a few family members that are usually available. 

• annelauer
    January 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I would not hire someone from online.  That said, we haven't left our kids with anyone at all.  Around here babysitters charge around $15 per hour for one child.  We have three.  I would imagine it would be at least $20 per hour.  Maybe more.  I suppose if you find the right person it doesn't really matter where you found them.  If your friend found someone online and then met with them and researched them and got references and felt comfortable with them, I suppose that is great for them.

• USD2012
    by USD2012
    January 4, 2013 at 1:52 AM

No never...tf have no idea abt a rate

• 1crazypregolady
    January 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Im in western NY. I actually provide care for other families that I know personally but I am also on Care.com. The average rate is $8/hr. I change my rates depending on the situation. (# of kids, my home vs theirs, # of responsibilities in addition to care....) I never need care for my daughter but if I did I would stick with people I already know. Just to be safe. If I had to hire a full time care giver I would use the web. That's what background checks and interviews are for. That is also why it is important to be thorough. Ask for references and follow up on them! A good care giver has nothing to hide.

• sexysiren1983
    January 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Rapes? I noow that was a typo but c'mon hoow horrid that sounds

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Yes. And i run a daycare from home, with most of my clients coming from online, from sittercity.com, care.com, care4hire.com etc. 

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rapes are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

for a day, i would say 20 is fine honestly. 

• addyangel
    January 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM
    We find our sitters through the local university and we have had some amazing luck with finding fantastic sitters. The few we have had have been elementary education majors so they love kids and can get down on their level and relate to them. We pay our current 7.50 an hour. Our kids love her and she gets so excited to come and spend time with the baby.
  • aimhawk
    by aimhawk
    January 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

$5 an hour here or $6, they bring snacks.

• jessi2girls
    January 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM

IF I went about doing it online.. 

1- I live in a small town.. so anyone that posted locally probably has a relative or friend that I also know or a past client that I could get referances from lol.. 

2- I could always pay to do an online background check myself.. (It's really about the same price as those baby sitter sites.. lol.).

3-I wouldn't just leave my kids with them.. they'd have to go through a trial run (paid of course).. until not only my kids were confortable with this person, but also that I was as well. 

4- How much... I'd pay $20 plus gas.   Although I wouldn't need them for more than a few hours max...   If I had someone babysitting for 10 hours I would pay them $50... plus provide snacks.   ($5 dollars an hour)

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN