30 Something Moms

hismommy2010
Would u pick a babysitter from online, also whats todays goin rate for babysitting?
January 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Just a little curious, because I've talked to some moms who have went about getting a baby sitter in various ways. going through a friend of a friend, a co-workes relative, all the way down to finding some one off the internet. And I'm not talking about the web sites that have back ground checked nanny's. I'm talking about a random, stranger who posted a ad on a local web site for a town they live in ( kinda like craigs list) stating they would baby sit.

Would you do that? Would you feel comfortable enough allowing a complete stranger that you met off the internet to babysit your kid(s) at any age?

Also, what do you feel is fair for babysitting. What's the going rate now days? I was asked to babysit someone's child for a day. for 10 hours, in my home and i provide the meals. I was offered $20 and I said no, $35 would seem more fair to me. I used to help my mom when I was younger in her day care,but I haven't baby sat in years, so I'm not sure if that's to high of a price.

Replies

• countrymomma81
    January 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I wouldn't, but I have tons of options. I have at least 4 family members I can call on at any given time to watch my kids if I need. 

I have never had to pay a babysitter. I have paid day care, but never a babysitter. 

• surferlover
    January 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    Here in Orange County, CA the hourly rate is 13-15 an hour for a newborn. Goes down to 10 for older kids.
  • sallij
    by sallij
    January 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    I found my current sitter, whom I love using, through Craigslist. I did background legwork myself. I trust my skills and knowledge with that since its a big part of my job duties :)

We pay $20 a day and bring our own food, diapers, etc. DD goes to her house, and is there around 9 hours. it's a steal for the awesome care we get.
  • ardiaxe
    by ardiaxe
    January 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    So 2$ an hour, no way! I guess it depends on a few things. If you watch the child all week, then a weekly rate makes more sense. If its a date night and just for a few hours, an hourly rate would be best. I would probably charge 7$ an hour.
    I don't trust anyone but my children's grandmother to watch my kids.
  • lizzig
    by lizzig
    January 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

i considered it before but thankfully some of the teachers at school have teenage daughters that love my kids & are more than willing to babysit.

in my area the going rate for a sitter is $12-15 an hour for one kid $20 for two.  we can't afford that, seeing as it's more than hubby & i make an hour so i offer the girls $8 to watch both my kids.  it's more than minimum & my kids are easy to watch so i think it's fair.  thankfully they have no issue with that rate.

• TableforSeven
    January 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I would never hire a stranger from the Internet....nor would I take a job from a stranger on the Internet.  I never hired a stranger to watch my kids.....the few times I couldn't use a family member, I asked a good friend.

I don't know the going rate in the states....my daughter didnt start babysitting until after we moved overseas.  The going rate here is 20NIS per hour (about $7). 

• Marz31
    by Marz31
    January 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

There are quite a few websites that are for sitters/caregivers (For all ages, including pets) that do background checks and whatnot, I'd feel comfortable, after an interview to check compatibility, with someone from care or sittercity websites.

Around here, younger kids charge $8-10, older kids and adults who sit charge 10-15 an hour, also depending on the number of children and their ages and the time of day. If I was hiring something to babysit to the wee hours when my child would be long asleep, I'd probably give 2-5 less per hour during that time. I can remember babysitting and making $2 an hour, 24 years ago! NOT at all acceptible now. Heck, my daughter's daycare breaks down to about $5 an hour. And the dropoff daycare we use for evenings and weekends sometimes is $9.50 an hour with membership ($40 a year). 

• emarin77
    January 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Going rates for babysitters depends on where you live.  Like New York City would have a very different rate compared to someone that lives on a farm for example.  I would never pick a babysitter right off the internet unless they have background checks.  I would ask around your neighborhood to know an average rate.

• JP-StrongForTwo
    January 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Yes. And i run a daycare from home, with most of my clients coming from online, from sittercity.com, care.com, care4hire.com etc. 

I like being able to provide cheaper than daycare centers but more loving care. my rates are 100 a week per child. but i also slide scale, depending on the families situation, such as one mom who has 2 children, but cant afford 200 a week, so i made it 100 a week for both. 

for a day, i would say 20 is fine honestly. 

• littlemoments99
    January 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I nanny and get paid $12. I would expect at least $10 an hour for one or two kids but it would go up by at least a dollar for three. 

30 Something Moms