30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
JasonsMom2007
so its cruel to make those in retail work thanksgiving
November 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Isn't that the general consesus around here? So here's my question why doesn't anybody care that movie theatre workers have to work holidays as well? Can't people just go see movies another day so they can be with their families?
And before anybody says anything my hubby is on call for thanksgiving this year. He was last year too and ended up working so yes, I know what its like.

Replies

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    November 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Um ya!

Hospitals don't close, hotels, don't close! Retail should shut it or find somewhere else. Just. Deal.

Make a turkey any other of the 364 days.

Quoting smenjivar:

what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.

• Armygirl2299703
    November 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I don't see it as cruel but I do think that managers need to take into consideration those that have young children at home and/or family coming in from out of state. Maybe have everyone work 2-4hr shifts instead of a regualar full day so that EVERYONE can be home with family. Also close early. Before I had my daughter I would volunteer to work split shifts so those with young kids could be home. I did this until my daughter was about 1.5 and could be more involved in what was going on. Generally I worked the grave shift anyhow so it didn't matter because she was asleep while I worked and stayed home with my mom.

• mamom01
    by mamom01
    November 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only two days my hospital (veterinary) is closed.  I work every other holiday throughout the year.  I'm grateful to have those two days off, but I don't honestly see what the big deal is.  I get that no one wants to be away from their families, but I knew when I took the job what would be expected of me. 

• TableforSeven
    November 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Actually - yes, they did.  Everyone in the USA knows that stores are open just about every day.  Everyone wants the convenience of 24/7 stores, but they don't want to staff them.

If you work somewhere that is open on holidays....expect to work holidays - period.  If you don't want to work holidays....find somewhere else to work.

if the ONLY job you can find is going to force you to work holidays.....be glad you have a damn job.

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting smenjivar:

what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.

I'm a nurse. We signed up for this. Retail workers didn't.

• hopealways4019
    November 25, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    It's cruel to make anyone. Who really need to work, on Thanksgiving. Hospital workers, and law enforcement have to work, .

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN