30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
Kozon2011
Just Curious
November 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM
I am by no means perfect or have a ton of money or judge anyone who gets govt assistance. But am I wrong to feel a little peeved when you are out to eat at your local pub and see a guy joking with the bar tender about using his purple card (link card) to pay for his 200 booze bill. If he wants to use that its his choice... but what bothers me is he is blowing that money the govt gives him and my husband and I are drowning in Dr bills BC of my daughter being diagnosed with epilepsy and I get denied help BC my income is just a little over the requirements. Am I wrong to be bothered a little oh and please be nice with your replies

Replies

• zumbafreak11
    November 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I think you're justified in your anger.  It's not fair that you and your husband are working your butts off and still drowing in medical bills because of your daughter's epilepsy.  I don't think that people who get public assistance should be buying booze in the first place with their SNAP card or even at a bar and certainly shouldn't be joking about paying for $200 worth of booze with their SNAP card- especially in public.  PA is supposed to be to buy nutrious food for yourself and your family - not a bunch of junk that's going to make you fat!

• anotherandree
    November 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

This.  The money is there to help with bills and if he chooses to blow it on alcohol than that is his problem.  For the most part, I don't see anything wrong with having a "treat" now and again.  Just because someone is on PA does not mean that they should never go out to eat or have a cookie.  I understand that a $200 bar tab is a bit extreme and a waste, but he will be regretting that decision when his rent comes due.

Quoting Mommy4000:

My guess is he was paying with some sort of assistance such as disability or unemployment. Still nothing to brag about, but at the same time, that would be assistance that he earned or is more than entitled to if it was disability. The only other cash that is on a pa card would be temporary cash, or child support. I don't really care how someone chooses to spend their benefits, but I'd have to question the mentality of someone, especially a guy, who would not be embarrassed to brag about being on assistance.

• chinosruca
    November 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    It wouldn't bother me. Key word: JOKING. You can't pay for alcohol with public assistance. You don't even know if he was on public assistance. Maybe is sense of humor is off....but some people (especially when drinking) don't have public friendly senses of humor.
  • Krayziekitten
    November 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Ok, I am going to open myself up for a bomb here.  I am one that is on PA and work full time w/benefits.  I receive a small amount of PA.  I do not go out and about on the town, I don't buy alcohol, I pay bills with what little I have after daycare and kid needs.  To me there is a responsibility that comes with using PA system.  I'm not proud to be on it by any means.  But as a single parent it allows me to ensure my kids have food and a roof.  Anyone that requires the means of PA shouldn't have the funds for alcohol, eating out, going out on the town, nice car, etc, etc

• Kozon2011
    November 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM

You use it the correct way and I am personally glad to speak to someone who uses it properly! i will say it again I do not judge anyone's financial lifestyle because trust me mine isn't the best but there are certain things pa shouldn't be used for and that guy was a poster child for it!

Quoting Krayziekitten:

Ok, I am going to open myself up for a bomb here.  I am one that is on PA and work full time w/benefits.  I receive a small amount of PA.  I do not go out and about on the town, I don't buy alcohol, I pay bills with what little I have after daycare and kid needs.  To me there is a responsibility that comes with using PA system.  I'm not proud to be on it by any means.  But as a single parent it allows me to ensure my kids have food and a roof.  Anyone that requires the means of PA shouldn't have the funds for alcohol, eating out, going out on the town, nice car, etc, etc

• dinahrp
    by dinahrp
    November 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM

His days are numbered to live it up.  There are MAJOR  changes coming to those on PA. 

• tharealty2
    November 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM

i don' t think your wrong, just please oh please don't be one of the masses (oh, the masses!!) that uses that one situation to make broad and sweeping statement regarding everyone on assistance.  People on assistance don't have any more integrity than the 1% of extremely wealthy American's who also abuse the system and cheat the little guy out everyday.  If I were you, I'd be more peeved about the well dressed men in high priced houses that own/run banks and cooperations that cheat far more people everyday than that guy at the bar not using his assitance wisely.  Or better yet, the big pharm and big medical companies that make it so difficult for the avg american to be able to afford quality healthcare.

• SunCrazy
    November 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    You are not wrong. Our government assistance programs need an overhaul. Years ago when my brother and I were little my mom too was told she made too much money to get help for school so she never went. Something needs to change!
  • countrymomma81
    November 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I don't think you are wrong at all. It also pisses me off when I see certain families at the store on Sundays loading up their carts with enough food to feed the whole block, meanwhile calling everyone on their iphones to invite them to their BBQ and paying for it with their food stamp card. 

• KylesMom409
    November 22, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    I agree 100%.

Quoting mumsy2three:

I think entitlement programs need a huge overhaul. That's all I'm going to say about that :)

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN