30 Something Moms

Kris0806
Are you present when...
November 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

You are at your children's lessons? I mean not just physically being there, but actually watching your children.

I was watching my 4 year old in his karate class tonight and as I looked around I noticed that of the 8 other parents that were there....I was the only one paying attention to what the kids were doing.  EVERYother parent was playing on their cell phone nearly the whole time. I know there are always exceptions for needing to use your phone...but I think barring anything major that the parents attention should be on their child.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jenny76
    by jenny76
    November 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My girls are both dancers so we live at the studio but her dance studio has a no parents policy. They find that the parents are too distracting. So, either you wait outside or in the hall but they really just want you to drop off

• zumbafreak11
    November 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

No, because my daughter has ADD and if I'm there in the same room, she's too distracted to pay attention to her sensei or dance teachers.

• sunflowers12
    November 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

well, i though you may take my thoughts on the matter this way.. you didn't need to out right say in your post that you thought ppl were less of a parent it was all in the under-tones of your post and i did read it that's how it came off..  when ever you compare your self against others and what their doing vs your self that'swhen you can be sure its going to come off self righteous as if to say "look at me i am paying full attention and know one else compares to me and my awesomeness".. to me that's a slippery slop!! again whether or not you feel that the way you saying it is irrelevant that's how ppl with take it.. all i meant was is that be careful because how you judge others will come back to you.. whether you feel tat way or not.. my post was just my thoughts in which you asked for.. dueto the fact that my thoughts are different as yours you feel as i am attacking you which i am not just merely stating my thoughts on the matter... if you really don't want to know how others feel might be best not to ask.. however i do understand where your coming from just not sure if you have all the facts is to why or what ppl are doing again i feel as if you basing things on just what is in front of you not on the whole picture... good news is you dont have to think like me or even agree with me you can do and say what ever you want...

Quoting Kris0806:

Ummmm..If you actually read this thread you should have noticed I never once said anyone was less of a parent. I actually specifically said that I think it's great that everyone has different parenting styles.  I did say that I think they could've waited the 30 minutes to play on their phones.  That is my opinion on ONE particular thing...NOT If they are a good parent or not.  I've got 4 kids....I know it's hard.

Thanks though....

Quoting sunflowers12:

well, i think it may be kinda of presumptuous for you to think they are not paying attention.. i am sure some may not be others may be multitasking while other share doing the best they can with what they have to work with... i am a mom to six great kids and there were and are many times i can not be at what ever function there may be for many different reasons.. it doesn't make me any less of a mom then anyone that is at every function for their kid (s) i think it can be a bit self righteous to assume that of others... 

also everyone has their own way of doing things i don't feel its necessary to pick out what ppl are doing and what they are not.. obviously if your paying attention to what they were doing you were not paying full attention on your kid (s) just saying!!

• JasonsMom2007
    November 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Agreed. Certainly she would consider me a terrible mom. Ive flat out walked out of the gym before during my sons akido lessons. I spent several weeks not in there at all. I was making all sorts of phone calls to the insurance company and doctors to find an ot to get my son help. Instead of taking time from him at home to do it I chose to do it when he was otherwise occupied. I was able to get more done and he didn't care.
    Now I did know a mom who read during t-ball even when her son was up to bat. He would look at her after catching the ball or making it to base and she wasn't even paying attention. He was so crushed he walked right off of the field a couple of times. That was wrong. Watch your 4 year old play!
    I guess I believe practices are fine to miss but not games, tests, tournaments, etc

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

This literally made me lol. The idea that others aren't good parents just because their eyes aren't on their kids 24/7 is hilarious. Sanctimommy at its finest.

Quoting lilcaesarsmama:

some of us are better at parenting than others. consider yourself an amazing parent! your precious children are blessed.

• CrimsonRadiance
    November 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    Once my boys hit red belt, I really don't stay for every lesson. They have Taekwondo every day except Sunday. I will go watch twice or three times a week, but not every day that they are there. I usually just drop then off.
  • sonnyswoman75
    November 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    Thats so sad parents should be present and enjoy every second of their childrens lives
  • Kris0806
    November 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Well thank you for pointing that out to me

Quoting sunflowers12:

well, i though you may take my thoughts on the matter this way.. you didn't need to out right say in your post that you thought ppl were less of a parent it was all in the under-tones of your post and i did read it that's how it came off..  when ever you compare your self against others and what their doing vs your self that'swhen you can be sure its going to come off self righteous as if to say "look at me i am paying full attention and know one else compares to me and my awesomeness".. to me that's a slippery slop!! again whether or not you feel that the way you saying it is irrelevant that's how ppl with take it.. all i meant was is that be careful because how you judge others will come back to you.. whether you feel tat way or not.. my post was just my thoughts in which you asked for.. dueto the fact that my thoughts are different as yours you feel as i am attacking you which i am not just merely stating my thoughts on the matter... if you really don't want to know how others feel might be best not to ask.. however i do understand where your coming from just not sure if you have all the facts is to why or what ppl are doing again i feel as if you basing things on just what is in front of you not on the whole picture... good news is you dont have to think like me or even agree with me you can do and say what ever you want...

Quoting Kris0806:

Ummmm..If you actually read this thread you should have noticed I never once said anyone was less of a parent. I actually specifically said that I think it's great that everyone has different parenting styles.  I did say that I think they could've waited the 30 minutes to play on their phones.  That is my opinion on ONE particular thing...NOT If they are a good parent or not.  I've got 4 kids....I know it's hard.

Thanks though....

Quoting sunflowers12:

well, i think it may be kinda of presumptuous for you to think they are not paying attention.. i am sure some may not be others may be multitasking while other share doing the best they can with what they have to work with... i am a mom to six great kids and there were and are many times i can not be at what ever function there may be for many different reasons.. it doesn't make me any less of a mom then anyone that is at every function for their kid (s) i think it can be a bit self righteous to assume that of others... 

also everyone has their own way of doing things i don't feel its necessary to pick out what ppl are doing and what they are not.. obviously if your paying attention to what they were doing you were not paying full attention on your kid (s) just saying!!

30 Something Moms