30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
Looneyfarmmom
Reading
November 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Do you read to your children? 

If you do, what sort of books? What age did you start? How do you get your children to interact with you when you read? 

Replies

• Looneyfarmmom
    November 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM

We started to read to our son about three on small books like Dr. Seuss and Jamie Lee Curtis's Children's books. As he grew older we started reading J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and now on to the Harry Potter series. We do the "Who, what, where, why, and how" questions when we sit down and read. It helps him to be very active in his bed time stories. 

I am curious to see what other parents do as well. 

• zumbafreak11
    November 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I no longer read to my 7 year old since she can do it herself and does quite well.  I started reading to her when she was a baby.

• Looneyfarmmom
    November 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Our son is seven and is reading by himself but still asks me to read to him. I think he just likes the closeness and our time together at night. We still work on if he understands what he is reading. 

• mrswillie
    November 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Actually mine are teens now but I use to. Also, dh has trouble comprehending books he doesn't like, so if he has to read a book for school, he reads it to me so we can discuss it.

• givenshl
    November 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM

When my oldest child turned 6months old (17 now) I started reading to her and the same with the 3 that followed. I started with books that was just pictures and I made up stories to go along with the pictures and so on with their age. Growing up they would start reading to each other, they would play school and they would have reading sessions. Now they are Tweens and Teens and they just read on their own. My Tween girls will read to me, most of the time when I need to relax or when I am not feeling well.

• Looneyfarmmom
    November 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM

In high school I had an instructor who would do this. She asked me if I knew how to read and I told her yes and then she asked me, "but do you understand it"? That changed my whole view of reading. 

Quoting mrswillie:

Actually mine are teens now but I use to. Also, dh has trouble comprehending books he doesn't like, so if he has to read a book for school, he reads it to me so we can discuss it.

• Looneyfarmmom
    November 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I have read a lot of psychology articles that suggest that if the father's read to their son's and daughters as well that it will make them want to read more. What are your takes on that? My husband and I both have been reading to our son and he is ahead of his class in reading. So I think it could be true. 

• JasonsMom2007
    November 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Of course I read to them.  I started really young reading them pretty much anything.

• mustloveanimals
    November 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

We read all the time, and started the day I brought her home from the hospital. Honestly, besides reading and singing I didn't know what else to do with an infant, KWIM? Now my DD is 2 and I just melt whenever she "reads" to herself.

• Jenner8
    by Jenner8
    November 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM

My LO (4.5) came to me at age 3.  I think we've missed our bedtime story ~3x in the past year and a half... she has already amassed quite a book collection (2 full bookcases), and we visit the library weekly and she picks three.  She's developed Olivia syndrome (aka "let's just read 8 books tonight').  Currently she's mastering her letters and sounds and likes to stop me to inform me of things such as "That is NOT a C" (the word was sea).  She also likes to read to me, and she makes up some wild stories from her picture books.  My favorite is anything Dr. Seuss, but she's going through a "If you give..." (Laura Numeroff) phase and we read one of those every night.

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts