30 Something Moms

Looneyfarmmom
Birthing plan
November 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

7 years ago when I gave birth to my son I had this birthing plan that I was going to do everything natural and have this awesome pregnancy and birth. Boy did my son decide differently! Nothing went my way and I ended up with the completely opposite experience. I think this time I am just going to chuck the whole birthing plan. What do you think? Birthing plans, yes or no?

Replies

• Paradys
    by Paradys
    November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    I believe in birth plans because they make sure your wishes are known and met (if possible)
  • OHgirlinCA
    November 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    I didn't have a birthing plan. I went with the flow and made decisions as I went.
  • lalasmama2007
    November 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Same here...

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I didn't have a birthing plan. I went with the flow and made decisions as I went.

• AllofFive19
    November 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I still would. Sometimes things happen so that not everything on your birthing plan happens, but it's a general guideline, not a list of rules.

For example, if you don't want an episiotomy, they won't do it unless they feel it's extremely necessary. Or that's the way it's supposed to work.

• Looneyfarmmom
    November 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

My son almost ended up being a c-section because my hips couldn't take it and I ended up with a epidural. My best friends says it is because I jinxed myself lol. So instead I explained to my doctor about the last situation and made plans to have the baby in a hospital that is better equipped for emergency situations just in case things don't go the way I want. I told her, "Watch me have the best birth ever!"

• Looneyfarmmom
    November 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

What I mean is this time around I came into this pregnancy expecting the same thing I had with my son and this pregnancy is like night and day. My son was a very hard pregnancy and this time around it is surprisingly easy. I keep expecting it to jump out at me at any time and attack but so far nothing. So I don't know what to expect this time around. I voiced my concerns to my doctor and we talked about the possibilities. She is an awesome doctor and listens to me very well. But as far as a written birthing plan I think I have pretty much chucked the idea because I seriously have no idea what to expect this time.

• jillbailey26
    November 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I had three and didn't have a birthing plan.  The first two, the plan was *get an epidural and push that boy out* (both were boys).  Our youngest (girl) had her own agenda.  I had severe preeclampsia and had to deliver, by c-section, at 30 weeks.  

• lisa601
    by lisa601
    November 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    I didn't have one with either of mine. My dr and I were on the same page about everything.
  • Looneyfarmmom
    November 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I am agreeing with both Lisa and Jillbailey. I am going with a general idea of what I want and going with the flow this time. 

• ambercates
    November 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    I didn't have a birth plan with my sons other than I knew I wanted an epidural!

30 Something Moms