30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
jenweaver
"mall bangs"
October 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Do you remember the smell of your favorite hairspray? As a child of the 1980s and early 1990s, the smell of Rave and Aqua Net bring back horrible images of gigantic, crunchy bangs. You know, the kind that wouldn?t budge for 3 days if you were walking through 80 mph winds in a rainstorm. My mom called my bangs ?The Claw,? and, unfortunately has many photographs to prove how unflattering and ridiculous the hairstyle was. But, oh, on school picture day, how the girls? bathroom smelled like Rave. We?d be lined up in a row, much like a firing squad, only our weapons were a can of aerosol hairspray in one hand and a pick in the other. Teasing our bangs until they stood up on end, we would have competitions to see who could get their bangs off of their forehead the highest. What was your spray of choice and how high was the highest hair in your school!?

Replies

• ShaunnaMichelle
    October 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I was not really a fan of hairspray. I think I was rocking the "emo" hair down in your face style long before it was a style. I HATED doing my hair.

• smushy79
    October 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Ugh, I have horrible pics to remind me of those days!! AHH!! I think I used Aqua net too.

• lovinmysailor98
    October 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    My mom called mine the peacock look. I never got super high though, I likes the 1/2 up and 1/2 curled under look personally. My parents were anti-arisol so we used whatever pump stray was cheapest at Costco. However I remember my grandma and aunt always used AquaNet which is what I use now when I use hairspray
  • toria78
    by toria78
    October 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    1990 me in jr high, dont remember what hairspray i used but my bangs were about 3 inches high which is nothing compared to one girl whose made it up to 12in :0 her bangs didnt even fit in the yearbook pic lol.
  • MommyAJ2921
    October 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Lol! White Rain hairspray, a teasing comb, a small curling iron and the blow dryer. Not only would I over/under curl my bangs and make them huge, I'd wing out my sides using the blow dryer. Oddly enough, I never touched the back. Looking back, I probably resembled one of those spitting lizards that flaps out its hood to try to intimidate predators.

Quoting MommyAJ2921:

Did you just say WHITE RAIN??? *faints...* WOW...haven't heard that in AGES...lol...I didn't do hairspray..I used an ungodly amount of gel to smooth my hair though...ugh...LOL....

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't use hair spray now but circa 1990-1995 I used the hell out of some White Rain.

• Pink.Frosting
    October 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    Lol, I'm 37 and until about a year ago I still used Rave. But then I switched over to Aqua Net, which is what I use now.
  • sweetmissy_05
    October 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I never really used hairspray, i don't like the way it feels in my hair.

• KylesMom409
    October 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    LOL!

Quoting opal10161973:

OMG, I remember that!  LMAO!  It was like a cloud that would eminate into the hallway when someone opened the door! 

• my123sons
    October 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I think it was Aquanet. I remember spraying my bangs with hairspray, using a curling iron to curl them and spraying them with more hairspray while they were on the curling iron, teasing them until they reached the ceiling and adding more hairspray. And then you had to make the wings on either side of your head and spray the hell out of them, too.

• Nursesummer
    October 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Aquanet, white rain, Aussie and rave.

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN