30 Something Moms

buggies_mommy
How do you feel about family names?
October 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM

My husband, his dad, and his grandfather (and back a few more generations) all had the first name of "William", but go by their middle names. My husband is convinced that if we ever have a boy, his first name HAS to be be William, just because of this so-called tradition. I'm really not a fan of family names, I just don't see the point of naming my child something that I don't like! What are your thoughts??

Replies

• offrdngal
    October 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

When I got pregnant, I told my now-ex that there would be no juniors or same-names of any kind. 

I don't like the idea of every boy in the family having the same name, with a jr. or a number tacked on to it.

• LaughingTattoo
    October 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I like family names BUT not ones that everyone feels MUST be used (Jrs, III's, ect....). Both my daughters have a "family" name (Jean and Denise) but they are names the ex and I liked too. The baby on the way will have my husbands Christian name (Francis) even though were athiest lol.

• KyliesMom5
    October 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Generally, I like family names but if I don't like a name I won't use it. My ex-husband wanted to use Joseph Michael if we had a boy. That kid would have been the 4th which I was not wild about and I just don't like the name Joseph. We ended up comprimising though and if we had had a boy he would have had the initials JMM like his Dad,Granddad and great granddad.

• jillbailey26
    October 2, 2012 at 7:40 AM

We did it with our oldest.  Kenneth is from my dad and Page is from my husband.  I feel that my dad (and my husband) is a great man and it's an honor to keep his name alive through our child.

• edelweiss23
    October 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    My son is named after his grandfather. We call him by the Irish equivalent of his grandfathers name.
  • sahm_of_rj
    October 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    My DH wanted to name our son after his father, first middle and last the same. I wanted to ditch my fil's first name entirely but my DH was having none of it. We compromised and named him Richard Jacob, and we call him RJ. I am glad we did it now, at the time I wasn't thrilled. Our baby has DH's name as his middle name too.
  • LAUNDRYAGAIN
    October 2, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    The only family name we continue are the middle names. There are a tons of us with Marie and Edward and Lynn. My mom my daughter and I are Marie my Sister my Sister in law and other daughter are Lynns. My DH and my son are Edwards.:-)
  • Sunshine257
    October 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    My grandpa dad and brother are all Walt .
  • ambercates
    October 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    We have 2 sons the first named Caden Andrew after dh whose name is Andrew! The 2nd Colten William after my dad and both my grandpas! I would rather use them as middle names!
  • tiredmomma35
    October 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Not a fan either. My dad went through that, he is a 3rd.

30 Something Moms