30 Something Moms

Featured Posts
azfree
My toddler is obsessed with washing machines
by azfree
October 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

My son has been obsessed with washing machines ever since he was an infant. He used to build a washing machine out of a small garbage can and a long candle, and throw all our clothes in it and spin it. And anytime we go over to someone's house he has to check out their washing machine. He loves to watch washing machine videos and he loves to help with laundry. He loves to spin in circles and pretend he's a washing machine. He recently asked my friend: "Does you washing machine have an agitator?" She was floored -- she didn't even know what an agitator was!

I suppose this is good. Our laundry is always done!

But I am wondering if this is common. Is there is some sort of strange washing machine phenomenon for kids? We posted a video of our son with a toy washing machine about a year ago, and the video went semi-viral. It's a cute video, but I didn't think it would be particularly interesting to anyone else. But it has like 22,000 hits.

Does anyone else have a washing machine-obsessed child?

Replies

• lalasmama2007
    October 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Cute video!  I never saw a toy washing machine like that before.  My DD doesn't pay ours any mind, but she does like to help load it.

• amonkeymom
    October 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Not washing machine, but my kids do have their various obsessions.  Sometimes they change and sometimes they stay hooked on things for a long time.

• azfree
    by azfree
    October 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    For the sake of our water bill I hope this obsession passes!

Quoting amonkeymom:

Not washing machine, but my kids do have their various obsessions.  Sometimes they change and sometimes they stay hooked on things for a long time.

• Kirstyleggate
    April 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Omg!!!! Thank you for posting this my son has the exact same obsession and has done from being 11 month he is now nearly 3 and it's getting worse! He has two washing machines one for the bath and one for his room and he can sit for hours watching the washing machine just spin round or spin it round himself! And helps me with laundry all day long, it's his favourite thing to do! He like your son walks into people homes and goes straight to see what their washing machine is like and can tell me every colour all our family's w machines are! He puts his hands together and shakes them left and right very fast and makes noises of the machine, he goes through the whole cycle of a wash!!!! He is also obsessed with fans windmills and aeroplanes! But the number one is a washing machine! I'm so happy someone else has heard of this haha I smiled the whole way through reading your post it was like you were talking about my son. I wonder why this is have you found anything else out or has your son grown out of it thank you xx
  • ericsmom74
    April 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM

My son was obsessed with vacumns.  If he saw it on tv he would point and show me.  He would look in the newspaper on Sunday and get excited if he saw vacumns.  Then it stopped in time.  Next obsession was traffic lights.  Even in pre-k it became worrisome.  Everything was traffic lights I mean his mind was on it alot. 
    That stopped

I wouldn't worry about it.  They all have things they love for awhile.  Unless, it really gets in the way of other things.  I think they really start worrying if they  obsess around the age of four.  Just my opinion.  That is what I experienced.

• mommybug77
    April 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Haha, no
  • lisaph2
    by lisaph2
    April 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    I don't think it is harmful, unusual, but not bad. One thing though, please make sure yours is not accessible when you are not supervising. They can be dangerous.
  • Amber_W620
    May 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I'm so happy to hear other children have the same obsession as my son!  It started when he was about 2 and he is now 4 1/2.  His doctor told me to watch for signs of OCD but he has no other signs.  Whenever we go to other peoples house he asks to wash their laundry and/or see their washers.  Everyone is pretty much used to it at this point and they let him wash their clothes.  It doesn't bother me anymore either I just let him wash away  :)  I guess it could be worse right?!?!   Thank you for sharing your story!!

• Jerseychimom
    October 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    Were you talking about my child in your post? Honestly, it was the exact behaviors down to talking about the agitator! He probably watched your video! He's 3 1/2 now and has had the obsession on and off since he was 11 months. It's currently on. I see you posted a year ago. Has the obsession worn off? Is there a reason for concern do you think? My guy also likes fans and vacuums, but it's no where near the washing machine craze.
  • sunflowers12
    October 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    Aw, thats funny.. one if my kids loved weed eaters when he was much younger.. he wanted one so bad but of course he couldn't have one, but now sense he has been a teenager he has been mowing and weed eating for the last two years lol.. now he is mad because I tell him to buy his one things many times just trying to get home ready for the adult he will be in a few more years..

30 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts