Autism / Asperger's / PDD Support

megan_robin
My Preteen is lying
December 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

My Preteen has started lying.  She had a project and told me that she was working on it.  That a milestone was completed at school or at her father's house.  Her best friend ratted her out the Friday before it was due so I grounded her all weekend to get it done and helped.  The remaining 10% she said that she was completing on the computer but was actually searching youtube and would switch to a research screen whenever I walked in.  So 5 weeks of lies over one project. I am fed up.  I told her how dissapointed I was and she looked guilty only to lie and say she was working on it the next day but wasn't.

How do I stop the lying?

Replies

• dmsfr
    by dmsfr
    December 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Actually, that is a pretty typical behavior for any teen/preteen, toddler, child...

You could set rewards and consequences for benchmarks being and not being met.

If she gets the assignment done on time she would get a reward and if she doesn't there is a consequence (say loss of computer because it seemed to work). The good news is she isn't doing anything a "typical" kid wouldn't do.

Autism / Asperger's / PDD Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN