Autism / Asperger's / PDD Support

megan_robin
My Preteen is lying
December 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

My Preteen has started lying.  She had a project and told me that she was working on it.  That a milestone was completed at school or at her father's house.  Her best friend ratted her out the Friday before it was due so I grounded her all weekend to get it done and helped.  The remaining 10% she said that she was completing on the computer but was actually searching youtube and would switch to a research screen whenever I walked in.  So 5 weeks of lies over one project. I am fed up.  I told her how dissapointed I was and she looked guilty only to lie and say she was working on it the next day but wasn't.

How do I stop the lying?

Replies

• dmsfr
    by dmsfr
    December 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Actually, that is a pretty typical behavior for any teen/preteen, toddler, child...

You could set rewards and consequences for benchmarks being and not being met.

If she gets the assignment done on time she would get a reward and if she doesn't there is a consequence (say loss of computer because it seemed to work). The good news is she isn't doing anything a "typical" kid wouldn't do.

Autism / Asperger's / PDD Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts