Autism / Asperger's / PDD Support

SAMI_JO
He is chewing up everything!
by SAMI_JO
October 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Please does anyone have any advice on what to get for my 15 year old who is chewing up everything in site. His school ID badge, pencils, remotes, phones, whatever he touches he chews on. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Need to order something today! I can't keep buying ID badges

Replies

• dedesky
    by dedesky
    October 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Hello,  well I have a 9year old who also chews up pencils, the remote and the ear piece on his glasses were a mess.  I did buy a few baby teething toys, but he didnt' seem interested in chewing on them.  So, we started using straws.  I keep a couple in the car and his backpack.  They are not the expensive and they seem to work great.  When he has that need to chew on something because he is in serious thought, or his nerves are getting the best of him he can grab a straw.  Plus it seems at school I've notice a few other kids chewing on them so he is starting a trend.  Hope they will work for you.

• goddiddlyumshis
    October 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    My 5yo is doing the same, even with his hot wheels.
  • Elilly11
    October 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Hi everyone, my son who is 5 has SPD &  ASD, and chews on everything as well. I have found a few things that can help. They make a lot  products to chew on.. They seem instantly calming for sensory seeking children with biting habits. They make chewy charms and chewable tube necklaces. Some also come on break away lanyards for safety. Also covers for pencil's for older children. Chew Stixx make a lot of things as well. My son would chew on his clothing, toys, anything really that he could put in his mouth! I hope that some of these products might help your kids like they did mine :) 

• goddiddlyumshis
    October 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    Oh man. Where do you buy these things?!

Quoting Elilly11:

Hi everyone, my son who is 5 has SPD &  ASD, and chews on everything as well. I have found a few things that can help. They make a lot  products to chew on.. They seem instantly calming for sensory seeking children with biting habits. They make chewy charms and chewable tube necklaces. Some also come on break away lanyards for safety. Also covers for pencil's for older children. Chew Stixx make a lot of things as well. My son would chew on his clothing, toys, anything really that he could put in his mouth! I hope that some of these products might help your kids like they did mine :) 

• Elilly11
    October 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Hi goddiddlyumshis, I just sent you a message, I wasn't sure I could post a link on here. Hope the links help :)

• lizard3731
    October 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    My almost 5 year old ds, who is autistic, chews on lots of things, as well. They have a "chewie" at school for him. I haven't tried to find them, but I guess they're available on line. He likes toothbrushes, so we usually have a few of those on hand for him to chew. He has chewed books, toys, shoes, pencils, erasers, etc. We try to keep important stuff where he can't get to it. We haven't had much success getting him to stop chewing.
  • dmsfr
    by dmsfr
    October 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Go for it, you can post the link :)

Quoting Elilly11:

Hi goddiddlyumshis, I just sent you a message, I wasn't sure I could post a link on here. Hope the links help :)

• Elilly11
    October 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

This site has great stuff, hope you find something that works for you :)

http://www.autismshop.com/chewables-sensory-items/

• SAMI_JO
    by SAMI_JO
    October 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I ordered him a chewnoodle from there on Monday. Hope to have it by Friday.

Quoting Elilly11:

This site has great stuff, hope you find something that works for you :)

http://www.autismshop.com/chewables-sensory-items/

• 1021mom
    by 1021mom
    April 9 at 12:14 AM

Look at the dog tags on this site. I bought some for my eight year old. These still aren't "cool" but far more so than other chewy necklaces. 

http://www.chewigemusa.com/pages/gallery

Autism / Asperger's / PDD Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts