40ish and beyond...

opinionatedmom
how do you seriously get kids to eat veggies in their school lunch
September 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I know the perfect moms send veggies in their kids lunches. But mine is in the phase of not eating veggies unless they are hidden. I hide them in dinner, but lunch is harder. Any suggestions? I can't see sending something he won't eat.

Replies

• sahlady
    by sahlady
    September 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I dont do alot of veggies in lunches.  Raw carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, raw broccoli (rarely, but I have).  That is about it for veggies in lunches.  They have two every night at dinner.  

But then I never claimed to be a perfect mom.

• opinionatedmom
    September 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    Do your kids actuallylike veggies? I think i am going to cheat and.buy the v8 that has veggies in it.

Quoting sahlady:

I dont do alot of veggies in lunches.  Raw carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, raw broccoli (rarely, but I have).  That is about it for veggies in lunches.  They have two every night at dinner.  

• MariannLws
    September 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I only pack fresh fruit and veggies. I've been lucky that our daughter loves fruits and vegetables and haven't had any issues getting her to eat them. 

• sahlady
    by sahlady
    September 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM

some.  Tonight we had sweet potatoes cut and roasted.  It was a request from my daughter, I dont do a lot of starches and hadnt made them in years.  We also had zucchini cut and roasted... they both ate it.  Im not sure that they loved it, but I dont care because they ate it.

We usually do two veggies a night and they eat it.  Again, not sure that they like them but they eat them.  V8 has a ton of salt, I bet you can find better veggie drinks if you feel that is the way you must go.  I know our market has some veggie drinks but they are individually sold and would be much more expensive.  Perhaps try cooking your veggies differently.  I know growing up I was NOT a fan of veggies but I had never had a fresh veggie.  My mom bought canned veggies and frankly not only are they really gross but the texture is icky too.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Do your kids actuallylike veggies? I think i am going to cheat and.buy the v8 that has veggies in it.

Quoting sahlady:

• opinionatedmom
    September 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    Fruit isn't a problem. The problem is having some for lunch. He eats them so fast I have to depend on juice for fruit in hislunch. Veggies are another story.

Quoting MariannLws:

I only pack fresh fruit and veggies. I've been lucky that our daughter loves fruits and vegetables and haven't had any issues getting her to eat them. 

• opinionatedmom
    September 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    I was thinking v8 since it taste like fruit, but has hidden veggies. He loves juice.

Quoting sahlady:

some.  Tonight we had sweet potatoes cut and roasted.  It was a request from my daughter, I dont do a lot of starches and hadnt made them in years.  We also had zucchini cut and roasted... they both ate it.  Im not sure that they loved it, but I dont care because they ate it.

We usually do two veggies a night and they eat it.  Again, not sure that they like them but they eat them.  V8 has a ton of salt, I bet you can find better veggie drinks if you feel that is the way you must go.  I know our market has some veggie drinks but they are individually sold and would be much more expensive.  Perhaps try cooking your veggies differently.  I know growing up I was NOT a fan of veggies but I had never had a fresh veggie.  My mom bought canned veggies and frankly not only are they really gross but the texture is icky too.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

• sahlady
    by sahlady
    September 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

fruit?  they must have changed it since I had it.  Last time I had some it tasted like tomato juice.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I was thinking v8 since it taste like fruit, but has hidden veggies. He loves juice.

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

• KW1280
    by KW1280
    September 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X

Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a recipe book on hiding veggies in your child's favorite food

http://www.oprah.com/food/Recipes-by-Jessica-Seinfeld
  • Snowl
    by Snowl
    September 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Most of the kids I have seen in Pre-K and public school only eat veggies if they can dip them in ranch dressing.

• opinionatedmom
    September 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    They have a blended one now, has veggies taste llike fruit.

Quoting sahlady:

fruit?  they must have changed it since I had it.  Last time I had some it tasted like tomato juice.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

40ish and beyond...