Moms with Adult Kids

Why123
What did you want
by Why123
January 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

To be when you were growing up?  Did you accomplish your goal or did you strike off in another direction?

Replies

• busygramma4
    January 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

A doctor. No bt I stayed in the health field and became a respiratory care practitioner

• DesignGirl450
    January 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I wanted to be a school teacher when I was young, but dropped out of college.  I definitely took another direction, but have no regrets. 

• Why123
    by Why123
    January 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I also wanted to be a doctor.  That was until I got to high school and realized that I really don't like biology, chemistry or physics.

Quoting busygramma4:

A doctor. No bt I stayed in the health field and became a respiratory care practitioner

• Why123
    by Why123
    January 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I never really wanted to be a teacher but I do it now as part of my job.  Strange how things turn out.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

I wanted to be a school teacher when I was young, but dropped out of college.  I definitely took another direction, but have no regrets. 

• momma-t42
    January 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I accomplished exactly what I wanted to be, and dreamed of being....a mom!  And, I still get to kind of be one with all the group home girls.  It's the coolest experience, even in the most difficult situation I face with a girl there, they are honest with me even when it means a discipline.  Today I had to confront a resident for hiding something behind the bathroom toilet that she had snuck in for another girl.  It wasn't a huge thing what she snuck in, but she was not going to let the non compliant staff know it was her.  The director asked me to deal with it, and I knew I could trust this resident to be honest with me.  She faced the consequences head on and was honest with me as I knew she would be.  It's moments like that where I can truly tell, my lot in life was to be a mom.  I especially like this type of mother hood job...I get to leave for a few days.  hehe :)

• Why123
    by Why123
    January 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM

You picked one of the best kinds of jobs and you do it well.

Quoting momma-t42:

I accomplished exactly what I wanted to be, and dreamed of being....a mom!  And, I still get to kind of be one with all the group home girls.  It's the coolest experience, even in the most difficult situation I face with a girl there, they are honest with me even when it means a discipline.  Today I had to confront a resident for hiding something behind the bathroom toilet that she had snuck in for another girl.  It wasn't a huge thing what she snuck in, but she was not going to let the non compliant staff know it was her.  The director asked me to deal with it, and I knew I could trust this resident to be honest with me.  She faced the consequences head on and was honest with me as I knew she would be.  It's moments like that where I can truly tell, my lot in life was to be a mom.  I especially like this type of mother hood job...I get to leave for a few days.  hehe :)

• KittyGram
    January 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    At one point, I wanted to be a lawyer, but only till my (now ex-) sister-in-law laughed about it, because I was so incredibly shy back then. After that I wanted to be an author, and write novels. Haven't written any yet!!! I also remember wanting to be "a secretary", which is somewhat what I do, or at least what I HAVE done, here at my current job. Started out 23 years ago as receptionist, went on to secretary to the sr. v.p., then on to "bookkeeping", then officially "Accounting Manager", as well as HR manager.
  • Why123
    by Why123
    January 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Wow you were busy.  When I started college I got my AA in Political Science with the thought that I would go to law school.  I haven't made it yet.

Quoting KittyGram:

At one point, I wanted to be a lawyer, but only till my (now ex-) sister-in-law laughed about it, because I was so incredibly shy back then. After that I wanted to be an author, and write novels. Haven't written any yet!!! I also remember wanting to be "a secretary", which is somewhat what I do, or at least what I HAVE done, here at my current job. Started out 23 years ago as receptionist, went on to secretary to the sr. v.p., then on to "bookkeeping", then officially "Accounting Manager", as well as HR manager.

• homeskoolmama
    January 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM

At different ages: singer

artist

fashion designer

I did go to college and take art classes and did some interior design, still do. I taught, well was the assistant, in an elementary school teaching art for 2 years.

I wanted a house full of girls but got all boys. God knew best. I dearly love my boys and after being around girls at church, field trips and in school. I am SOOOO glad I had boys :)

• nana9106
    January 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    I wanted to be a mom...check that one off the list, been there done that, got the T-shirt LOL
    I also wanted to be a print journalist or fiction author ...but that never came to be, I was busy being a mom. I did however go to college to get a business degree, but never finished.
    I am a dispatcher now, I love my job (sometimes...but not today). Nobody ever aspires to be a dispatcher

Moms with Adult Kids