Moms with Adult Kids

Featured Posts
LadySaphira
How young is too young?
December 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM

First let me state that  yes, I know this is CM we're talking about and there are some people who are trolls and will post things or make replies for the shock value. There are others that will lie to avoid looking bad, to feel superior,  or out of jealousy but I hope that the majority are being honest (although I take all posts with a grain of salt).

While surfing CM lately I have seen tons of posts on "What are you getting your kids for Christmas" of something along those lines and I can't believe the number of mom claiming they are getting their  3, 4, 5, ECT year olds I-pads, I- pods, tablets, kindles, laptops or something equally outrageous.

I was just wondering how young is too young, in your opinion for these types of items? Does a 7 or 8 year old really need a cell phone with all the bells and whistles? Wouldn't you be worried about said child losing a big ticket item like that? Or having some bully steal it, even if they are "mature" for their age and extremely responsible?

Replies

• Rileyscute
    December 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    I had heard of the side loading..just scared of messing with the OS..lol
    I would probably blow something up

Quoting LadySaphira:

I understand your frustration and it isn't fair that they require a specific brand of item. What if the parent does not have the funds for such a thing? The kid looses out. I know there is some way to "side laod" (or something like that) i-pad apps on the kindle but not sure how. They have videos on how on you tube but I think you have to have a cell phone and load the apps on that then transfer them to the kindle.

Quoting Rileyscute:

We seriously feel forced though to get him an Ipad and we hate that..his ipod just isn't good enough..its expensive..I have a kindle..but the apps for him aren't available for the kindle pricepoint...grrrrr.

Ok..done whining..

Quoting LadySaphira:

Your reason is completely valid. It is essential for his social and academic skills. Getting a young child one just because their fiends have one, "they want one", to show off how much you can afford to spend, or  what a "awesome" parent you are is not a good reason. 

Quoting Rileyscute:

My son got an ipod at 7...for communication, he is nonverbal...he does take pretty decent care with it...it can really be a lifeline for him...having said that...we are going to have to get him an ipad..that's what the schools are using..and frankly it burns my ass..as apple is so proprietary about their programs which android servers just don't have...sigh...

But under normal circumstances..I completely agree..

My kids don't have the latest and greatest and most expensive anything...

• LadySaphira
    December 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I have a very basic cell phone myself (no internet, radio, music, camera) so I can't do it. I don't know if I would dare try if I could, I would probably fry both my kindle and the phone.

Quoting Rileyscute:

I had heard of the side loading..just scared of messing with the OS..lol
    I would probably blow something up

Quoting LadySaphira:

I understand your frustration and it isn't fair that they require a specific brand of item. What if the parent does not have the funds for such a thing? The kid looses out. I know there is some way to "side laod" (or something like that) i-pad apps on the kindle but not sure how. They have videos on how on you tube but I think you have to have a cell phone and load the apps on that then transfer them to the kindle.

Quoting Rileyscute:

We seriously feel forced though to get him an Ipad and we hate that..his ipod just isn't good enough..its expensive..I have a kindle..but the apps for him aren't available for the kindle pricepoint...grrrrr.

Ok..done whining..

Quoting LadySaphira:

Your reason is completely valid. It is essential for his social and academic skills. Getting a young child one just because their fiends have one, "they want one", to show off how much you can afford to spend, or  what a "awesome" parent you are is not a good reason. 

Quoting Rileyscute:

My son got an ipod at 7...for communication, he is nonverbal...he does take pretty decent care with it...it can really be a lifeline for him...having said that...we are going to have to get him an ipad..that's what the schools are using..and frankly it burns my ass..as apple is so proprietary about their programs which android servers just don't have...sigh...

But under normal circumstances..I completely agree..

My kids don't have the latest and greatest and most expensive anything...

• hugss
    by hugss
    December 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Definitely too young for an ipad or a cell phone,
    IMO .. middle school kids perhaps should have a cell phone.
    As for the ipad .. not til then either problably :)

• Shellness
    December 5, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I suppose if you are wealthy enough to buy those things for someone so young, you aren't really worried about them getting lost or broken? 

Sometimes, I think people have more money than sense.

• homeskoolmama
    December 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I think little kids, under 10, should get "kid" gifts. They need to be active, not sitting around texting or surfing the web.

I do have friends whose kids have iPods , tablets and Kindles, under age 10. Amazes me.

My boys did not get a cell phone until 13 and then only because they were gone so much with church activities and sports, I wanted to be able to keep track of them and for them to call me if needed.

• ambermario4ever
    December 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM

My kids will not get cell phones or computers/tablets until they are in high school. Now when they are in middle school if the want an e reader we might get them one. They do have leapfrog leap pads but I feel those are age appropriate for a six and four year old.

• EireLass
    December 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I don't think kids need any of that. I think they need a computer at home for homework, that's it.

• kam013
    by kam013
    December 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I think I try to take this question in context, we are in the Mom's with Adult kids group, so for most of us our children are older.  Times and technology have certainly changed since my kids were younger and along with that the requirements for learning have changed. 

When I taught Preschool one of my jobs was to teach 2.9 year olds how to use a computer, it was part of the program.  The parents would ask at open house how much time would be spent on teaching these kids to use a computer.  I know in elementary school (as early as 1st grade) here the kids have required computer homework.  It was a big issue because obviously there may be some students who don't have a computer at home to work on. 

That said, NO, I don't think GIVING little ones all the most advanced technology is the best think because quite frankly many kids these days don't have the imaginations that we or our children had.  Many kids just don't know how to be kids anymore, play outside, or make stuff up and it makes me sad.   I often wonder what it may do to the future of our Arts programs.  

We are just getting a taste of how things are with our Grandson.  DD asked for a Furby for him for Christmas because she had one when she was little and she loved it so she thought it would be fun.  Granted ultimately he is still a little young for this toy (recommended for ages 6 & up) but we thought it might be something he would enjoy because it talks.  Well we went to get one and realized the the NEW version of the Furby works with an I-Pad, I-Pod or an I-phone.   Makes it hard to buy even the smaller gifts if you need the bigger high priced one to go with it. 

It's all in the marketing and the marketing doesn't make money on the LITTLE KID toys so they are pushing the high ticket items on younger and younger kids.  Fortunately, I don't fall for that stuff, so GS will be getting Megablocks, a Rocking Cow (he likes cows, LOL), cars, trucks and lots of books. 

• Why123
    by Why123
    December 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I bought my Kindle Fire to get learning apps for the 5 year old.  She doesn't have it however, it is in my room and she only can use it with an adult present.

• passionatebren
    December 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I don't think any child under the age of 15 should have the electronics mentioned. Like others have said too many kids today lack an imagination and it's due to parents thinking they need to "buy" all the latest and greatest available. I personally will not be buying my grandchildren anything like this. They will get age appropriate toys ect...not expensive gadgets. Even the 16 year old at home still won't be getting those items since cognitively she is only a 8 year old!

Moms with Adult Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN