Moms with Adult Kids

passionatebren
Need opinions (UPDATE)
December 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Next Friday we go and pick up our daughter from college for Christmas break. Well her boyfriend is also at the same college and she is asking if he can come home with her for the whole 4 weeks since he has no family to speak of to spend the holiday's with.. I have no issues with her boyfriend he is a neat kid. I am just not sure if I want him here for the whole 4 weeks. What do you think?

Just wanted to give a update on how this went. Let me just say I have never met a more polite 19 year old in my life. It was no problem having him here for the whole break. We got to see how he really treated our daughter and let me tell you he worships the ground she walks on he would do anything for her.  He and she followed our rules to a tee and even went out of their way to help out, We took them both to their destinations on Sat and were sad to see them both go. My hubby told him your welcome at our house anytime and gave the kid a hug!!! My hubby don't do that with just anyone. Thank you everyone for the opinions!!!!!!!!

Replies

• LeJane
    by LeJane
    December 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Good for you.    I totally get wanting to be alone with her.     If it were me,   I would arrange some special things just for you and your daughter.     Your hubby can help to keep him occupied.   It can be a fun time for you all.   It probably will get frustrating at  times,   but as soon as they leave you will wish they were back.     Get out the games, celebrate and have fun !!!         Happy Holidays .....      :-)       Hugs !!!   

• Sue1605
    by Sue1605
    December 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I agree with you. Also becos when we were in the Bahamas for 2 years it was not always possible for our boys to visit us over their school breaks. Sometimes like the Spring and Thanksgiving,  breaks were too short for the expensive trip. Their friends took them home and I was so grateful for that. 4 weeks is a long time though, maybe he could split the time with another school friend also? He could go by himself by train or bus. BTW, both the sons made themselves useful around the house by doing chores so their hosts were only too happy to have them and they ended up having repeat offers.

Quoting mac1940:

I guess I am a softie.  Understanding his family circumstances, I would probably relent and let him stay the whole four weeks.  I keep thinking back to when my son was first in the Navy and stationed far away from home and couldn't get leave to come home and how a family made him welcome in their home for the holidays, certainly not for a prolonged period but t least he didn't have to spend the holidays alone.  Also we were foster parents for several years and saw how grateful most of them were for a family to care.  But I also can certainly understand how you would want some mother/daughter time.

• passionatebren
    December 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I will have the chance to do some thing with her just us and her sister. She has a meeting while she is here that he can not attend so it will be just us. He can hang out with hubby. I have saved my Christmas baking for when she comes home and he is egar to help us and be part of the fun. It will be a fun 4 weeks and your right it will go quick and then I wish they were back!

Quoting LeJane:

Good for you.    I totally get wanting to be alone with her.     If it were me,   I would arrange some special things just for you and your daughter.     Your hubby can help to keep him occupied.   It can be a fun time for you all.   It probably will get frustrating at  times,   but as soon as they leave you will wish they were back.     Get out the games, celebrate and have fun !!!         Happy Holidays .....      :-)       Hugs !!!   

Moms with Adult Kids