Moms with Adult Kids

Featured Posts
Sue1605
What a sorry state .....
by Sue1605
October 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM

of affair - much as I like reading others posts, replying sometimes and posting, I am thinking of quitting CafeMom. My language is deteriorating ! There is poor spelling, bad grammar, wrong wording....you name it and it is there. Now, before you all bash me up let me clarify that English is NOT my mother tongue. Right now I live in a French speaking place too so my English is getting affected. Also, I use a cell phone only for emergencies and rarely text so I can do without that lingo as well. I come to CafeMom to enjoy some time with others. I feel if one does not have the time to write properly, they could come back later.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Replies

• caro100
    by caro100
    October 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Sorry about that honey, some of us just have poor English skills.   Most of us are typing and its hard to think of what you want to say as you are writing.  I would rather hear from people and sometimes I do have to kind of decipher what they are talking about.  Also if you are wanting to work on your language skills this is not the place to do it. These are just plain people talking/typing slang.  Surely in your native French you too use slang to talk with your friends.

• LadySaphira
    October 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM

My posts and replies often leave a lot to be desired and I know it.  I don't know if it is because of my ADHD or because I am always rushing through things. I transpose or leave out letters, misspell words, forget punctuation mark's and to spell check. Sometimes, I go back and fix things, sometimes I just don't feel like doing so, sometimes I don't even notice the errors unless someone points them out because my mind tends to automatically fix them as I read over what has been written. Since this (for me anyway) is merely a social site where I have a lot of fun, I do not worry about grammar and spelling as much as I would if I were writing a letter to a company or a thesis. I do not speak nearly as poorly as I type LOL.

I am not forcing anyone to read and/or respond to my posts, nor will I be offended if they chose not to because of the way I type or state things. I do not judge others by their typing skills, spelling, grammar, or lack thereof. I do not know if that person has a learning issue, is to upset/angry to concentrate fully, or if they are just plain being lazy like I am occasionally. If I can't figure out what somebody is saying, I just leave the post.

P.S. Just for you I ran spell check and corrected my spelling errors. 

wink

• KittyGram
    October 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I think I write properly and eloquently (for the most part, at least!!!), and I notice others' misspelled words, punctuation placed in the wrong places, and such, but it really doesn't bother me.   

• amylulu1
    Amy
    October 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    I re-read my posts often and if I see grammatical errors I tend to edit to correct them. With that said, I tend to try to see through to the feeling and heart of the post rather than judge them. *shrugs* I guess I'm not quite as pretentious as some others...
  • hugss
    by hugss
    October 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Well I try but honestly I do mis spell words but that's just me ::blush::
    For the most part I feel like I write ok.
    Now there are times I may not.
    I think you should stick around & hang out with us ..
    Besides we're a great group of women who really help/support each other :)

• DesignGirl450
    October 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Yeah, sometimes I have to admit the grammar leaves a lot to be desired, but I guess some people don't know any better. 

• lisamarie1265
    October 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM
    I think everyone's posts are just fine, so if there is a typo or something written in a hurry, we are human, we arent perfect, especially if your writing a lot and want to get it all out, I write fast at times and misspell words, I try to catch them..but don't worry if I don't ...I to have ADHD and its just something with me thats all...
    So I am not understanding... This is an awesome group of ladies, full of compassion and caring.. Are you saying if a post isnt perfect you won't be a part of it??? Hang out for awhile you will see how great this group is.... Btw I had hand and wrist surgery I have a cast on my right wrist partially on my hand.. I also use my iPad to post so if my posts aren't perfect well..... Sorry...
    Also as another poster said, I would rather read and absorb the persons issues or comments and respond accordingly...and not judge anyone for a mispelled word or out of place punctuation mark...l this is just a fun place to be, it's not English 101... Just my opinion : - )
  • lisamarie1265
    October 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM
    Quoting DesignGirl450:

Yeah, sometimes I have to admit the grammar leaves a lot to be desired, but I guess some people don't know any better. 

Just curious... What do you mean??
  • lisamarie1265
    October 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    Quoting LadySaphira:

My posts and replies often leave a lot to be desired and I know it.  I don't know if it is because of my ADHD or because I am always rushing through things. I transpose or leave out letters, misspell words, forget punctuation mark's and to spell check. Sometimes, I go back and fix things, sometimes I just don't feel like doing so, sometimes I don't even notice the errors unless someone points them out because my mind tends to automatically fix them as I read over what has been written. Since this (for me anyway) is merely a social site where I have a lot of fun, I do not worry about grammar and spelling as much as I would if I were writing a letter to a company or a thesis. I do not speak nearly as poorly as I type LOL.

I am not forcing anyone to read and/or respond to my posts, nor will I be offended if they chose not to because of the way I type or state things. I do not judge others by their typing skills, spelling, grammar, or lack thereof. I do not know if that person has a learning issue, is to upset/angry to concentrate fully, or if they are just plain being lazy like I am occasionally. If I can't figure out what somebody is saying, I just leave the post.

P.S. Just for you I ran spell check and corrected my spelling errors. 

wink

I fully agree with you... Btw I also have ADHD what a pain in the you know what...but I deal with it : - ) bless
  • lisamarie1265
    October 25, 2012 at 1:36 AM
    Quoting caro100:

Sorry about that honey, some of us just have poor English skills.   Most of us are typing and its hard to think of what you want to say as you are writing.  I would rather hear from people and sometimes I do have to kind of decipher what they are talking about.  Also if you are wanting to work on your language skills this is not the place to do it. These are just plain people talking/typing slang.  Surely in your native French you too use slang to talk with your friends.

I agree....l

Moms with Adult Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts