Moms with Adult Kids

Featured Posts
Bmat
When you hardly ever see your grandchild, it isn't wrong to indulge her, is it?
by Bmat
August 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

She and I were in a bookstore today, killing time while her mom tried on some clothes, and she wanted everything around (age 7), so I said no, no, but in the end bought her a toy that I thought would be used more than once and discarded. I don't have a lot of experience with the grandma thing. What do you do when the child wants everything she sees?

Replies

• DoreenMiranda
    August 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

explain that you can't have everything you want, but i cant buy you what you need and right now i don't have the money to buy you anything right now. when grandma gets pay again then i'll see what i can do and it woeks all the time for me.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    August 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

*nodding*  Thank you for the suggestion.

Quoting DoreenMiranda:

explain that you can't have everything you want, but i cant buy you what you need and right now i don't have the money to buy you anything right now. when grandma gets pay again then i'll see what i can do and it woeks all the time for me.

• gottaluvmee
    August 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I say OVER DO IT!!! I am not a granny yet, but I can say this. Tomorrow isn't promised and the only thing these babies will have is memories!!! I am not saying buy them anything by any means, I am saying however TIME, TIME. TIME is what they need. Take time to take them shopping, a movie, a walk, let them dress up in your clothes and put your make up on. Be goofy, play cards or games. Or even just sit on the porch in the evening, doing nothing. Most of all LISTEN even when it isn't about anything let them know they and what they say are the most important thing at that moment. I had a Grandma and Oh the memories I have. My kids had a Granny and the memories they talk about. Its all about TIME and MEMORIES! Remember to just BE! 

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    August 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Good point. One of my fondest memories of my grandma is when we sat in the swing on her front porch in the evenings and rocked slowly back and forth.

Quoting gottaluvmee:

I say OVER DO IT!!! I am not a granny yet, but I can say this. Tomorrow isn't promised and the only thing these babies will have is memories!!! I am not saying buy them anything by any means, I am saying however TIME, TIME. TIME is what they need. Take time to take them shopping, a movie, a walk, let them dress up in your clothes and put your make up on. Be goofy, play cards or games. Or even just sit on the porch in the evening, doing nothing. Most of all LISTEN even when it isn't about anything let them know they and what they say are the most important thing at that moment. I had a Grandma and Oh the memories I have. My kids had a Granny and the memories they talk about. Its all about TIME and MEMORIES! Remember to just BE! 

• cchaffee
    September 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    I agree. One of my best memories of my great grandma was the treats she would have for me when we came to visit. She would always make caramel corn and fudge. The caramel corn she set out for everyone but the fudge she hid away for just the two of us. It was for our special time together.

Quoting gottaluvmee:

• cchaffee
    September 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    Bmat,
    As a parent I apprecieat all the things that the grandparents get for my 3 kiddos. No they are not always toys, treats, books or clothes that I would buy for them, but that's the point. Grandparents have raised their kids now it's time for them to simply enjoy their grand kids.

Moms with Adult Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts