Tween Titans

psych_mom
Boys and sewing...
January 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I got a new sewing machine this week and my boys love it. Every day they ask if they can sew something. So far both have made minature pillows just for practice. I am kind of shocked that they have shown such great interest in it.

Do your sons, husbands, or SO know how to sew? Do they think that it is girly or a good skill to have. My ex-husband knew how to sew because part of his job as a water survival instructor in the Navy required that he learn how to sew up parachutes and other equipement. My husband now doesn't really know how, but he got right in there the other night while I was cooking dinner and helped the kids with figuring it out.

Replies

• hriabywx4
    January 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    That is great! I think having a well rounded experience is wonderful for any child.

I have taught my boys cooking, cleaning, sewing and many other "women's work" skills. I don't want them to be lost when they leave home or worse think they need a woman to do those things for them!

I was taught many "guy jobs" as a girl and I usually end up doing most of the repairs around the house as my DH steadies the ladder or hands me tools! Lol DH is a great cook though and can tackle all the basic household stuff.
  • elkmomma
    January 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My other half does and I'm hoping my son will find an interest in it.  I keep telling him that girls like guys who can sew, cook, clean, and fix cars.

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    January 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    My husband does not. I do.t think anything of it when boys are interested in sewing. Look at all the fashion designers....many are men and I'm sure had to see at some point to show their designs.

Also, its relaxing for me and if others want to feel the same way, I would encourage them to.
  • wakymom
    by wakymom
    January 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Dh can do enough to sew a button back on a shirt. I need to get around to teaching the kids how to do that.

The kids have watched me use my sewing machine, but I haven't sat down and taught them yet. I plan to, though.

• TempestRayne
    January 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    Mu husband does. He makes things frequently for the kids. He also embroidered.
  • kmrtigger
    January 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    The boys do not know how to sew on a machine. They can sew by hand. Its something I feel they need to learn.

Hubby can sew with a machine it by hand.
  • kmrtigger
    January 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    I feel the same way with my boys. I want them to be independent and not think they have to have a woman to do certain things. And I don't want them coming home to mommy to fix it either.

Quoting hriabywx4:

That is great! I think having a well rounded experience is wonderful for any child.

I have taught my boys cooking, cleaning, sewing and many other "women's work" skills. I don't want them to be lost when they leave home or worse think they need a woman to do those things for them!

I was taught many "guy jobs" as a girl and I usually end up doing most of the repairs around the house as my DH steadies the ladder or hands me tools! Lol DH is a great cook though and can tackle all the basic household stuff.
  • Zamaria
    by Zamaria
    January 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    My dh and my oldest can sew on buttons, repair torn hems, etc. basic stuff. They couldn't make clothing or anything but they could probably do something with basic straight lines or something on a machine.
  • mamavalor
    January 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

My boy is still too young (5) to use a sewing maching but I have taught him finger knitting and he loves it.  If he wishes to learn how to sew I would not hesitate to show him, just like I would show him how to tie his shoes.

• KarenMarie35
    January 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    I did teach my son to sew and he knows a lot of "housekeeping" type things, which is good because it's just the two of us and it's just handy to know many of those skills.

Tween Titans

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN