Tween Titans

kmrtigger
Your Tween's first "I hate you" ...
January 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Have you experienced this yet? How did you handle that moment?

Replies

• wenchmommy381
    January 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Nope-- not yet!

And I don't expect to. 

My kids aren't allowed to say they "hate" anything. If there is something they dislike, they must explain why.

• nebcutie
    January 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    No i have not and dont plan on it cause we get along great! If it does happen it better be a better reason then "because". Lol really though i think i would tell her to go cool her jets and come back with a sorry when she relizes what she has said.
  • psych_mom
    January 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Nope, although he did say the other night that if we got rid of his dog, he was going with it. He hasn't been taking care of her, we have and we told him the stakes before we got her, so I told him if that's what he wanted to feel free to go, lol.

• SuperLooneyMom
    January 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    Actually mine prolly think it, I beat them to the punch. I basically say " I don't care if you hate me right now. I'm your mom not your BFF. My job is to help you not always play."
  • Lorena
    by Lorena
    January 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    Nope not yet. My oldest teens never did say that and I don't expect for my younger two to either. However, I did get my first your not my mom I hate you.
  • Barabell
    January 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Not yet.

• hollydaze1974
    January 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    I heard it at eight and knew it was simple frustration and exhaustion. He's thirteen now and just yesterday that random memory came up. I reminded him of the whole story and how he screamed all the way home and ( at three am) yelled " I hate you!" Through tears.

He furrowed his brow and says " I did? I'm sorry" hugged me " you know I didn't mean it"
    Yes, baby, I know. " I won't say it to you again....who could hate their parents?"
  • somuchlove4U
    January 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    Not yet. She told me she didn't like me when she was younger, but that's it. Whenever she said it, I would tell her I love you no matter what.
  • steelcrazy
    January 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Not yet, and it isn't because I've banned the word "hate" in my house.  I really haven't given either of them reason to say that yet, but I'm sure that it will happen eventually.  It's another one of those rights of passage that doesn't go in the baby book.  lol

• VickyJoJo
    January 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I have heard it when I have enforced discipline or made a decision she didn't like.  I have also heard "you must hate me."   The best thing to do is not engage or feed into that statement.   I stay focus on the issue rather than getting side tracked by the "hate" statement so my tween isn't allowed to derail whatever issue is leading to our conflict at the moment.

Tween Titans