Tween Titans

Msgme
10 year old staying home alone. (PIOG)
by Msgme
January 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I've been looking for a job for a really long time now  and up until now I've done it the old fashioned way. going into places and applying or calling from the news paper but I decided today to try craigslist.   I applied for 6 so far.  Keep fingers crossed i find one soon.

With that said-  When i do get a job it will most likely be during the day.  My skillset is more of a 9-5 type.  whcih means my 10 year old will be home alone a cpl days a week for like an hour and half.  a lil concerned about that.  Would you let your 10 year old stay  home alone.

Replies

• Barabell
    January 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We started letting my son stay home alone for 30 to 60 minutes at age 10. He demonstrated to us that he was mature enough, and we didn't go too far from home.

We did check the county laws in our area, and it was legal. Not sure what the laws are in your area, and so it's a good idea to double check them before being offer a position.

Good luck on the job hunt!!

• Msgme
    by Msgme
    January 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for the luck  I need it.   I checked the laws and for us its pretty much  when I feel they are ready. I double checked with childrens services  just incase.   We've done 15-20 minutes alone in the past and she's very responsible.  My son at her age would never of happened.   She'll be 11 in August. In sept she'll be taking public transportation to school by herself  so staying home for an hour can't be any more difficult.

Quoting Barabell:

We started letting my son stay home alone for 30 to 60 minutes at age 10. He demonstrated to us that he was mature enough, and we didn't go too far from home.

We did check the county laws in our area, and it was legal. Not sure what the laws are in your area, and so it's a good idea to double check them before being offer a position.

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    January 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I have a 9 year old.  The other day, my husband went fishing and I was going to get pizza for me and the girls.  I was so close to just letting them stay home alone so I can get pizza but I didn't.  It would have only been maybe 15-20 minutes but, still, I got a little nervous.  I do think that I would feel more comfortable if she was age 10.....maybe.  haha

• diaperstodating
    January 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    Yes I would, and I have. (The legal age to stay home alone in my state is 8).
    Good luck in your job search!
  • steelcrazy
    January 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My boys started staying home alone for an hour or two when the oldest was 11 (nearly 12) and the youngest had just turned 9.  They had to let themselves into the house after school because I was still at work.  They had no problems what so ever.  Yes, I checked my local laws first to see if it was legal, and it was legal for my oldest to be in charge of my youngest for that length of time.

• Barabell
    January 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Sounds like you'll both do fine then! It is nerveracking when you give new responsibilities to you kid. I always worry, but then it ends up being OK. It's also kind of sad because they grow up too quickly!!

Quoting Msgme:

Thanks for the luck  I need it.   I checked the laws and for us its pretty much  when I feel they are ready. I double checked with childrens services  just incase.   We've done 15-20 minutes alone in the past and she's very responsible.  My son at her age would never of happened.   She'll be 11 in August. In sept she'll be taking public transportation to school by herself  so staying home for an hour can't be any more difficult.

Quoting Barabell:

• wenchmommy381
    January 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM

They legislate these things? Wow...

If all I had was a 10-year-old, that would be one thing. My son is probably old enough to handle it. But he has 2 younger brothers and a baby sister. If I'd take one, I'd take them all. 

Good luck with your job search! (Might a part-time job be enough? Then this wouldn't be an issue.)

Quoting diaperstodating:

• Barabell
    January 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Yup. If they didn't, then what guidelines would CPS follow?

Our county laws are pretty long, and it seems like a lot of it is left up to the judgment of the parents. I remember there being a lot of exclusions if a child is not mentally or physically capable at 8 or 9 to be left at home alone.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

If all I had was a 10-year-old, that would be one thing. My son is probably old enough to handle it. But he has 2 younger brothers and a baby sister. If I'd take one, I'd take them all. 

Good luck with your job search! (Might a part-time job be enough? Then this wouldn't be an issue.)

Quoting diaperstodating:

• Msgme
    by Msgme
    January 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I'm desperate for a job.  I've worked from home the past 10 years but its not paying the bills.  Part time or in the evenings would be ideal but i'm having no luck at all.   She's my youngest  so i just have to worry about her.    I'm hoping my sons school schedule for the rest of the year chances to a 1-8th period instead of his 2-9 which makes him get home so late.  If it changes then he'll be home no later than 10-15 minutes later than her.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting diaperstodating:

• Mommy4000
    January 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My son at 10, yes I would let him stay home for a couple hours. My daughter at 10 probably not. She's 9 now, but even in a year I don't see her being able to stay completely alone for longer than 5-15 minutes, so it just depends on how well you feel your kid would do. And make sure you know the laws in your state just to be safe.

Tween Titans

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts