Tween Titans

ksrsmommy
Freaking out about a CT scan
October 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

This may seem silly, or maybe not. I had a CT scan in 2009 (everything was fine). Now, I feel great but apparently have a microscopic amount of blood in my urine. So they worry about kidney things and want a CT scan. Asked about MRI, but insurance won't cover as this is not the normal test for this- CT is what they do. Ultrasound doesn't catch much, so not a good option. So anyway, CT it is. But I worry about the radiation, especially that this is my second one.

I think this is one of those things that when it's happening to you, you feel like the only one in the world. And I feel like hearing 'CT radiation has a very small risk of increasing cancer risk slightly' translates to 'this CT will kill you'. That's what I hear in my crazy head. So I'm hoping to gain a little perspective. Has anyone had CT scans? And lived to tell about it! :-)  I'm really freaking myself out, and I just knew some of you will be able to relate and settle me down with your stories- and that you're FINE! Thanks ladies, so much.

Replies

• psych_mom
    October 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I had 3 CT scans on my abdomen in a 3 year period. I don't have a cervix or uterus thanks to having to have a hysterectomy at 26. About 10 months later my left 0vary had to come out and the best way to view it was via CT scan. After that surgery a year later I started having issues with my right ovary. The only way to see it was via CT scan. After that I had to have a CT scan done on that ovary 2 more times.

I would recommend not having another one after this one for a few more years, because having them as close as I did, is what is dangerous. Your 2 are 4 years apart and that is better. They recommend no more than 2 in a 5 year period.

• joshlor2
    October 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    My son has had 5 ct scans in his life. He is only 11. I couldn't even begin to remember how many I have had.
  • Barabell
    October 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I have had family member that have had CT scans, but I have not. In both cases, it helped save their lives. So I think typically the low risk associated with them is outweighed by the answers it provides.

• Barabell
    October 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Also, good luck on the scan. Please update us when you can.

• steelcrazy
    October 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM

My husband just had one this past August to determine where his kidney stone was hung up.  He said that it wasn't a big deal at all and the doctor didn't hesitate to do it, so I can't imagine that the risk is very great from having one every few years.

• cocoroo
    by cocoroo
    October 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM
    I have had a couple, my 14 yo dd had one a few months back, my sisters have had them....we are all fine.
  • MamaEngineer
    October 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM
    I get a CT scan about every 3 years on various body parts (had at least 6 CTs so far) plus annual chest X-rays since I am allergic to the TB scratch test. TB test is required for foster patenting.
  • Wyldbutterfly
    October 9, 2012 at 4:46 AM

In your case I think the benefit outweighs the risks. I would go for that CT.

• Jaybo
    by Jaybo
    October 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM

I'm late on this, but..

Hon, I've had two CT scans, as well as the most unusal brain/eyes/head scan in a weird looking circular machine that travels around your head as you stand in the middle, plus I've had 6 weeks of radiation treatments wearing the most suffocating face mask ever invented  & I'm still alive & kicking!

I wouldn't fret too much about your scan, many people have had more than 2, & really, if your doc thought there'd be a chance you'd be at risk of getting too much radiation, he or she would have found another alternative.

• Jenniy
    by Jenniy
    October 9, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    My 4yro has had 6 CT Scans, countless xrays, 2 Upper GI's, 3 Swallow Studies, etc. And he's doing good, no cancer. He's his happy little self.

Tween Titans

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN