Tween Titans

wenchmommy381
"Pink-tober"
October 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Replies

• taina361
    October 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    Sometimes i wonder if he money is trully used to find a cure. If they ever do will they stop the pinktober?
  • psych_mom
    October 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I would rather donate directly to the companies that research breast cancer than buy a product that may or may not give money. For example- Yoplait Yogurt. They give a certain amount of money from the lids that are entered usually (not sure if they are doing it this year) but why not give money regardless? Not only that, when you read the ingredients in the yogurt, it isn't that healthy anyways so I stopped buying it. I think a lot of comapanies are using it as a selling point and not to do good.

• TwinSoccerMom
    October 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I am thoroughly sick of it. I am glad that so many people are trying to help (although I am doubtful as to how much actually goes to research) but it is a month long reminder of how my mother died.

• copgirl112
    October 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there. People just partcipate in the month because breasts are oversexualized. Breasts are attractive to most people not like lungs or prostates.

• psych_mom
    October 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    It would be hard having something like that put in your face so much. Hugs!

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

I am thoroughly sick of it. I am glad that so many people are trying to help (although I am doubtful as to how much actually goes to research) but it is a month long reminder of how my mother died.

• TwinSoccerMom
    October 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the virtual hug.  :-)   It gets easier to deal with each year. But now I just feel like this is the "cause of the day" and the support isn't always sincere.  It is more about selling their product than helping out. That gets irritating.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

• psych_mom
    October 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You're welcome:) I agree with you. I think they do it to make themselves look like they are doing something good and not because they really care about it. Women are the main shoppers and they know this will catch our attention and we will buy products that will hopefully help a cause that will help us- but I don't buy half the stuff they say they are selling to support the cause because half of it has been linked to causing cancer with all the additives in it. If they want to help us, they should make their products healthier, lol.

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Thank you, I appreciate the virtual hug.  :-)   It gets easier to deal with each year. But now I just feel like this is the "cause of the day" and the support isn't always sincere.  It is more about selling their product than helping out. That gets irritating.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    October 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I think it's overdone. Pink kitchen gadgets, pink tools, pink ribbons printed on practically everything. I've even seen pink light-up reindeer lawn Christmas decorations, complete w/ pink ribbon on the box- seriously?! To me, that is just jumping on the bandwagon to make more $. I also don't like some of the things I've heard about Komen and how it uses funds and some of the other things it's been criticized for.

My fil passed away from prostate cancer, and a girl I knew in h.s. passed away a few days after our 20th reunion from ovarian cancer. Where are the big public awareness pushes for those? And what about heart disease? More women die from that than breast cancer, yet February's awareness month for that is totally overshadowed by Valentine's Day and all the pink stuff that is still out there.

Ok, getting off my soapbox now : )

• TwinSoccerMom
    October 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Yes!  I totally agree.

I really don't need a pink hand mixer or pink kitchen utensils or pink whatever.  I will walk in a charity walk or give directly but I don't buy "pink".

Making our food, household items and environment safer and healthier would go a lot further in helping out than dying everything pink and calling it good.

Quoting psych_mom:

You're welcome:) I agree with you. I think they do it to make themselves look like they are doing something good and not because they really care about it. Women are the main shoppers and they know this will catch our attention and we will buy products that will hopefully help a cause that will help us- but I don't buy half the stuff they say they are selling to support the cause because half of it has been linked to causing cancer with all the additives in it. If they want to help us, they should make their products healthier, lol.

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

• psych_mom
    October 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Well, now, I do like those pink appliances but only because they would look cute in my vintage kitchen, lol. I do agree with what you are saying though and as much as they charge for the product, they are really giving the bare minimum to help with research. We can spend $250 on a mixer and maybe $10-$20 of that is going to research. I think that it is great that Kitchen Aid and companies like that want to help, but how many of those $250 mixers are they really going to sell? I already have one and don't have a need for another and there are many women that are the same.

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Yes!  I totally agree.

I really don't need a pink hand mixer or pink kitchen utensils or pink whatever.  I will walk in a charity walk or give directly but I don't buy "pink".

Making our food, household items and environment safer and healthier would go a lot further in helping out than dying everything pink and calling it good.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Tween Titans

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts