Tween Titans

kam4ngc
Update from a previous post about 11 year old with friend issues
by kam4ngc
September 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Hi everyone. I posted a while back about my 11 year old having friend issues. We went back and forth about him changing schools (from private to public). We got our info for the public school and went on a tour and my son decided he wanted to give the public school a go. It has been just over a month now and knock on wood he is doing great. He joined golf and drama club and is looking into joining bowling this winter along with a fitness club. He is still in Scouts and will do basketball with the old school. He made quite a few new friends at the new school but has yet to hang out with any of them after school. Even girls are talking to him in school and after. He was ignored at the old school pretty much by everyone, and bullied by 1 most of the time. I am still hoping he gets to start hanging out with kids after school but at least he seems happier when he gets out of school and kids talk to him now in school. When in doubt, I say take a chance or you'll never know if things can be better. Keep your fingers crossed for him that he gets close to some of these kids so he can get out more often. Thanks for all your advice with my original post...asking if you thought he should change schools. So far it was the best thing for him.

Replies

• psych_mom
    September 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    I'm so glad to hear that it's going well for him.
  • kblpooh
    by kblpooh
    September 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    Glad to hear things are going well at new school. Maybe you could encourage him to invite a friend over after school or on the weekend.
  • steelcrazy
    September 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I am also glad that things are going well for him and hope that they continue to go well.  This is a great example of a private school not being better than a public school and that bullying does occur in private school too.  Plenty of parents naively think that private schools are always better and bully free.

• cocoroo
    by cocoroo
    September 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM
    I'm glad he is doing better.
  • M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    September 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM
    It annoys me to no end how many people here think they HAVE to put their child in a private or charter as a solution to a better education and stop the bullying.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I am also glad that things are going well for him and hope that they continue to go well.  This is a great example of a private school not being better than a public school and that bullying does occur in private school too.  Plenty of parents naively think that private schools are always better and bully free.

• TempestRayne
    September 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Glad that things are looking up.
  • kam4ngc
    by kam4ngc
    September 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I know there are issues everywhere but since my son had a small class at the private school and none of them talked to him outside of school, it was hard for him to socialize. Now he has over 300 kids in his grade and is able to find kids like himself. I guess it's working in school. Now I keep telling him to get their phone numbers but he isn't yet comfortable doing that.  I'm not as stressed about him in this school because so far he is happy when he gets out and is willing to talk about school where he didn't before . Had to drag it out of him. There is no better school in general. The private school offers a lot, but so does the public. The bullying happens everywhere and some schools handle it better than others. It's still a new school so bullying can still happen but I am grateful that it hasn't happened here yet.

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    October 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Glad things are going well w/ the new school!

• Barabell
    October 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I'm happy to hear that this change has been a big improvement for him.

A suggestion to connect with friends outside of school is to maybe print up some cards or a sheet with his phone number on it and then he can hand them out to some of his new friends. It might be easier to ask for a phone number when giving your own or when the friend calls his house.

• Barabell
    October 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I agree too.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Tween Titans

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts