Happy Homeschoolers

Looneyfarmmom
Public school failing my gifted child *some minor language since repeating the bullies*
November 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM

My son was bored in Kindergarten. I thought I would start with that shocker. What kid would be bored in kindergarten? Apparently mine was because he said it was too slow and he wanted to know more. My husband and I took his education in our own hands since last year to keep his thirst of knowledge satisfied. He was also bullied really bad in kindergarten and we tried to work with the teacher on this but she tried to blame my son. She didn't even bother to look at him and said it was too early to tell if he is accelerated. Fine, whatever. The teacher was complaining that he didn't know anything and was failing all of his classes and low scores. Then he can't sit still... turns out my son was messing with her because he was bored. He told me basically he was toying with her during the tests.

This year he was skipping to school because he loves learning and school. Two months into the school year he starts telling me he hates school and wants to be stupid. WHAT?! So I had a parent teacher conference with his new teacher. I expected the same attitude and was kind of on my guard. Turns out he was ahead of the class on all subjects and he is being bullied by two students. The teacher was more than willing to work with me on this. A month in my son shows up with bruises on his body and pretends like he can't read. I finally bribe it out of him with a doughnut that there is a little girl in his class who is physically abusing him and calling him stupid and ripping his books out of his hands while he is reading and telling him he isn't allowed to read because he is a stupid fuck. Yeah, first grade.  My son is reading Dr. Seuss books with ease to us and his favorite bed time stories are Harry Potter, The Hobbit, and wants us to start reading Jules Vern to him next. Math comes really easy to him as well. So back I go to the school to talk to them. They test him and he lands in the gifted program but the public schools gifted program is still too slow for these kids and they refuse to jump him a grade because they are worried he will be bullied more by the other students. So my son is being held back because of bullies yet again! This has been frustrating the hell out of me and the teacher because we are running out of ideas within the school. So my son comes up to me and tells me he wants to be home schooled. My seven year old wants to be home schooled. I found a great online school with an adjustable curriculum. I talked to my husband and we found a few awesome robotics programs at the local rec center, talking to the public library about their programs for home schooled children, and looking around more for different idea's to help feed his ever growing hunger. That way if they tell me he is at the second grade level I do not have to worry about my son being bullied by other kids at home. My husband was the same way as a kid and the public school almost failed him as well. My mother in law pulled him out and home schooled him and man my husband is so very smart. He graduated from college with honors as well and was on the dean's list the whole time he was in school.

Now I am looking at the online schools and they are telling me that the enrollment is closed for the year. What to do? He just wants to continue his education but he just cannot take it anymore at the public school. 

Replies

• JasonsMom2007
    November 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    Oh yes I have no doubt my son would be bored in kindergarten as well. He just turned 5 in June so hes a young knd but the school just tested him to be performing at a 3rd-4th grade level.
    we go through a charter homeschool so I have tons of curriculums available to me. The best advice I can give with kids like ours is ignore the grade level listed and follow your kids interests. We have learned so much that is far above his grade level. He loves story of the world for history and math u see for math. He is flying through his math books.

Check your state laws and go from there.
  • tuffymama
    November 26, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    You've gotten wonderful suggestions here. I don't know why you'd be committed to an online program if the ps is failing your son. That's just more of the same, IMO.

I raised a gifted son in ps and learned a lot from the copious mistakes made by me and the school system. I will NEVER buy completely into a curriculum program or method of teaching/learning after that experience. My oldest is a genius who suffered miserably in the clusterf*ck of public education, and my youngest is far too clever and sly for my own good. I will pick and choose, and handle most of LO's curriculum formatting myself. I educated myself for the most part since I also grew up in (Florida! Ugh.) public schools, so I don't know why I ever doubted my ability to educate my own kids.

Take him to the library. Research curriculum options. Since he is so advanced, I suggest the Robinson Curriculum. It's somewhat intense compared to the lightweight ps curricula in our country, so he would have little time to be bored. There is a vast network of support and the full curriculum list available for free online. ALL the books used can be downloaded for free here and there. Find someone to tell you how it's done and you won't even have to buy the curriculum. This can get you started:
    http://users.gobigwest.com/rosegate/aboutRC.html

If you like what you see, message me and I can send you more links and the books list. I'm making breakfast now so YIKES. Lol.
  • Looneyfarmmom
    November 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

The school I am looking at is Inspire Connections Academy. It is not through the state and has been suggested from friends with gifted children as well. So I wasn't going with anything from our state. Heck no lol they are ranked #4 on the worst schools in the USA. They are also slowly dipping down further.

So far my son and I do a lot of stuff at home to help in his education as far as his interests. My son was three almost four and told me he wanted to work for NASA and wanted to be like Tony Stark and go to MIT. Then this last year he admitted he wanted to be a video game developer working for Nintendo. His kindergarten teacher told him that wasn't a real job. Pissed me off. So now here I am trying to rebuild that confidence and planning a trip to Seattle to visit Nintendo (I think that is where they are located) so he can go for a visit and meet with a few developers. Idaho is very open to homeschooling and actually pushes families to do it. I think they want to shut down all schools if you ask me. If they had their way they would just offer expensive private schools. There isn't a lot of opportunity where he can work with a lot of science kids which he would love. I did find a few robotics programs at the rec center that he all but screamed over in excitment. The other programs are like 300 dollars... yeah don't have that money. Was thinking about talking to my husband about starting a homeschool meetup for science kids and have parents come together and help with idea's for our little smarty pants.

Our local museum's are expensive and there is no such thing as a free day. The local discovery center is like 6 dollars for a child and 8 dollars for an adult. That is the same price for the small zoo. My husband and I live 25 miles away so that is like a special visit. They are also the one's with the $300 science programs during the summer and I have talked to them about doing something to help afford it but they won't budge and when I asked if I could volunteer they just told me, "I am glad your child is smart and all so good luck on him but we won't help you."

I will check out those websites today and I am starting my research today. I told my husband I want to pull him out before December. So this would be his last week.   

Quoting tuffymama:

You've gotten wonderful suggestions here. I don't know why you'd be committed to an online program if the ps is failing your son. That's just more of the same, IMO.

I raised a gifted son in ps and learned a lot from the copious mistakes made by me and the school system. I will NEVER buy completely into a curriculum program or method of teaching/learning after that experience. My oldest is a genius who suffered miserably in the clusterf*ck of public education, and my youngest is far too clever and sly for my own good. I will pick and choose, and handle most of LO's curriculum formatting myself. I educated myself for the most part since I also grew up in (Florida! Ugh.) public schools, so I don't know why I ever doubted my ability to educate my own kids.

Take him to the library. Research curriculum options. Since he is so advanced, I suggest the Robinson Curriculum. It's somewhat intense compared to the lightweight ps curricula in our country, so he would have little time to be bored. There is a vast network of support and the full curriculum list available for free online. ALL the books used can be downloaded for free here and there. Find someone to tell you how it's done and you won't even have to buy the curriculum. This can get you started:
    http://users.gobigwest.com/rosegate/aboutRC.html

If you like what you see, message me and I can send you more links and the books list. I'm making breakfast now so YIKES. Lol.

• downsouthjunkin
    November 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I just wanted to say good luck to you and your son. I can relate to a failing school system. With your support and escaping the ps system, your son will do great!

Rainbow Resource Center

The Homeschool Buyers Co-op

Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year gives excellent guidelines for each grade (just to cover all the bases).

Definitely check your state laws.

secularhomeschool.com  has discussions about kids that want to get into the game field. Plus, there is tons of great info over there.

• babies101
    December 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM

The best thing is your going to be pulling him out of public school. I'm sure whatever you choose for him will be so much better than at the public.

• Looneyfarmmom
    December 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM

This is his last week. We finally gave in because the school was horrid. They convinced my son that what happened was when the kid knocked him down and started jumping on his leg was that he was playing tag and it just got out of hand. So they were giving the bully an excuse and telling my son to deal with it. Then on top of that he is bored with the pace of the curriculum. 

He is stuck at their pace because they won't make exceptions for him and they "lost" 2.5 million dollars in the Nampa schools so they cut the gifted programs and won't put him in full time, and on top of that they won't skip him because they worry about him being bullied based on the fact of his maturity. So I pulled him so we can go at the pace that is best for him. 

• NYCitymomx3
    December 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

My dd was also bored in Kindergarten and 1st grade.  She was fidgety and got in trouble often.  She tested into a prestigious (public) gifted school that she started in 2nd grade.  It was ok, lots of enrichments (piano, Spanish, art studio, science lab, etc), but she became indifferent to learning anything.  This kid was reading and writing before she was 3 and to see her enthusiasm gone was heartbreaking.  Halfway through 3rd grade I gave her the option to homeschool.  She thought about it for 2 weeks and finally said she was ready.  

It was wonderful.  We stayed away from structured curricula with just a bit of math, reading, and language arts each week.  All day she got to pursue her interests and follow her passions.  We live in NYC so we visited museums, art galleries, theater, and participated in tons of homeschool group clubs and activities.  

She has been a dancer since she was 3, competing since 7, and by 7th grade she expressed an interest in attending a performing arts high school.  In 8th grade she auditioned for 3 of them and is now a junior at what is considered the best performing arts school in the country.  She's thriving there and looks back on her homeschooling years with pride.

So, although an online school may sound great (and it may actually be a good fit for your child), a relaxed approach where he can guide his own day and make his own schedule may work better.  Gifted kids are creative, innovative, and determined - but lose a lot of that when freedoms are squelched.  Just my opinion.

Congrats on your decision to homeschool.  You will love it.

• Looneyfarmmom
    December 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

We are doing an online school until I can come up with something. Right now it was a last minute decision to pull him out. The one we chose was an adjustable curriculum that met his needs and not a traditional schools. We didn't decide to go with the plain and simple. During the rest of the year I am going to start figuring out this boy and what he needs and wants. Plus right now I am pregnant so I need the help with a lot of his education. I can still use my brain but not as easy as when I am not pregnant. 

The problem is I live in the boonies of the US and we don't have the options you did in NYC. We plan to move soon so we should have a lot more options then. I think once I start getting the basic idea of teaching my son through the online schools that I may have more confidence in the next year to move forward. I also think my son needs time to unwind from the tension of public school to really focus on what he wants to do and is interested in. He has had the teachers tell him what he could and couldn't be and how he needs to fit in to a perfect little mold of every child so he started losing that individualism. If the online school becomes the same way then I will see about pushing the unschooling sooner. 

My husband was the same way and my mother in law yanked him out of school. But she worries my son won't be socialized like my husband wasn't or getting his physical activity. I am talking to a few people about maybe some hip hop classes since my son had shown some interest recently, optimist football, science groups, and more. He is also half Hispanic and I truly believe in learning multiple languages so he has been hanging out with his Abuela and she has been helping him learn Spanish and works with me on his reading and English. So I have a positive attitude towards this. 

• TinasTribe
    December 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Look at your state laws. Our school districts MUST allow him to play sports with their district. Also today there are hundereds of homeschool groups. Google your towns name and homeschool and see what you come up with. You are already showing that you are a homeschooler at heart. Get him out of that system before it ruins him. You can do this! 

• TinasTribe
    December 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

FYI I live in the boonies and I am in 3 homeschool co-ops

Happy Homeschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN