Happy Homeschoolers

JasonsMom2007
all about spelling
October 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Can you tell me some about it? I have a 5 year old who is reading. He can sound out words to spell them but not knowing all of those special rules is bothering him.

Replies

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    January 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I came across All About Spelling at a homeschool convention in Ohio and loved it the minute I saw it. I bought it for my daughter to use with my grandchildren. She loved it because it woked well with her oldest who has trouble with visual memory- so sight words were a terrible problem. The rules are spelled out in this program in very detailed ways and remembering the rules is important. It comes with color coded letter squares which the child moves around to "spell" the words. It was written by a Learning Support teacher and the meticulous, itty-bitty step by step is great as far as I can tell. some children that I know hate it because it expects them to follow an specific order and go slowly enough to master the concepts before moving on. It is top quality, but can be tedious.

• JasonsMom2007
    January 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    thanks ladies. thanks to some help from someone who has a kid in the same charter school I do I tracked it down! one of the mentor teachers has it so I'm going to borrow it from her :)
  • Channell07
    January 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

This is the book that almost all of my undergrad and grad school courses have used...

Quoting HistoryMamaX3:

We use, Words Their Way- I love the program and use it for all my children.

• Channell07
    January 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I plan to use AAS.. DS is reading fairly well but I am thinking of putting him through AAR level 2 this coming year (his 1st grade year) and then starting AAS.

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    January 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

I want my preschool daughter to be able to spell very well. I don't really care if she goes on that National Spelling Bee when she gets older however, I do want her to be able to spell like that even if she doesn' want to pursue a Bee.

What do you guys recommend me doing first. Phonics? Then root words in other languages. I am looking forward to learning along with her and would use the same ideas for my other children too.

I've googled and gooogled my heart out trying to find out what is the first steps those Spelling Bee kids did for their great spelling vocabulary , but I cant find anything. If they had a curriculum I would do that in a second. Any advice? Thanks.

AAS also has a reading program now. Knowing the background of the author, I think she is likely to have th phonics in there, sice she is a special ed teacher.

• shoeshoegirl12
    February 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

What is AAS and AAR stand for?

• JasonsMom2007
    February 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    All about spelling
    All about reading

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

• shoeshoegirl12
    February 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Thank -You.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

All about spelling
    All about reading

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

• TinasTribe
    February 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My best friend raves about this program, she LOVES it!  She has homeschooled 3 children and has used many programs and she said by far this one is the best. 

Happy Homeschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN