Happy Homeschoolers

KiriandWyatt
How did you or are you teaching multiplication?
September 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I have been searching the web all day trying to find ways to teach the times table. Ds knows how to use the counters to multiply problems for worksheets, but I am trying to get him to memorize the times table so he doesn't need the counters so much. I have been doing the flash cards thing for awhile and he still hasn't memorized the 2's. Also he is not a big fan of silly songs or songs period for that matter so a multiplication cd won't help. I went to Mardels and saw they had a dvd, but don't know if it's any good. 

So anyways I was wondering what you have done that worked great for your kid/s or what are you doing right now that your kid/s are enjoying and seem to be picking up the times table with?

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    September 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    We don't memorize any facts. I just encourage them to play with math and have fun. I gave my son a chart and told him to have fun. He has used some ingenious ways to come up answers. Math is very logical and memorization is not helpful. Logically thinking through a problem is more helpful when learning to think mathematically.
  • caribear77
    September 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

i am reading this for ideas too.  My 9 yr old is in abeka 4 mathbook this year.  They are going fast & i think he would be just fine if I could get him to memorize all the facts.  Trying to decide if we should work solely on basic factsvuntill they are all mastered or getting Teaching Textbooks 4 as a different slower speed to give him more time to get them all memorized.  interesting in your different answers also!

• coffeelover2
    September 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

http://xtramath.org/

I do this with my boys. 

• birthymom4
    September 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    My daughter started multiplication last year (second grade) in Kahn academy
    She watches the videos a couple of times and just figures it out!

It's really awesome!

Happy Homeschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN