Happy Homeschoolers

KiriandWyatt
How did you or are you teaching multiplication?
September 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I have been searching the web all day trying to find ways to teach the times table. Ds knows how to use the counters to multiply problems for worksheets, but I am trying to get him to memorize the times table so he doesn't need the counters so much. I have been doing the flash cards thing for awhile and he still hasn't memorized the 2's. Also he is not a big fan of silly songs or songs period for that matter so a multiplication cd won't help. I went to Mardels and saw they had a dvd, but don't know if it's any good. 

So anyways I was wondering what you have done that worked great for your kid/s or what are you doing right now that your kid/s are enjoying and seem to be picking up the times table with?

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    September 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    We don't memorize any facts. I just encourage them to play with math and have fun. I gave my son a chart and told him to have fun. He has used some ingenious ways to come up answers. Math is very logical and memorization is not helpful. Logically thinking through a problem is more helpful when learning to think mathematically.
  • caribear77
    September 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

i am reading this for ideas too.  My 9 yr old is in abeka 4 mathbook this year.  They are going fast & i think he would be just fine if I could get him to memorize all the facts.  Trying to decide if we should work solely on basic factsvuntill they are all mastered or getting Teaching Textbooks 4 as a different slower speed to give him more time to get them all memorized.  interesting in your different answers also!

• coffeelover2
    September 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

http://xtramath.org/

I do this with my boys. 

• birthymom4
    September 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    My daughter started multiplication last year (second grade) in Kahn academy
    She watches the videos a couple of times and just figures it out!

It's really awesome!

Happy Homeschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts