Happy Homeschoolers

ejshottie
Help! Science Curriculum for 4th and 8th to study together?
April 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Hi there!  I am a 30 something year old homeschooling mother of 2 silly girls.  My girls are in their first year of homeschooling.  Ages 9 and 13.  Both ADHD.  Completely different learning styles!  LOL.  I would love to get some advice about curriculum for next year.  Right now, we have decided on TruthQuest History, Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Saxon Pre-algebra for the 13 yo, Teaching Textbooks Math 4 for the 9 yo.  The issue is that I'm looking for a Science curriculum that allows them to learn the same thing at different levels.  I prefer something based on the days of creation since we are a Christian family.  My girls love experiments, but I would like some reading and structure to it.  Help me please!

Replies

• ck3
    by ck3
    April 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    Try Noeo science...it's multi-age and has a lot of "meat" and reading to it but also has hands on
  • ncstress
    April 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

You could try Apologia -it was a bit dry for my 3 boys but your girls might enjoy it.  We now use http://www.superchargedscience.com/ and love it!  It's not a Christian curriculum but definitely worth looking at for the multi-ages.

• Jeremmy
    by Jeremmy
    April 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I like sonlights science. Although they dont recommend combining grades that are more than 3 years apart, you can always check the site out and order a catalogue and check it out. They also do experiments and come with many of the items you need prepackaged for you.

• LostTheSlipper
    April 14, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I was going to say Apologia. You may be able to use their books for both children and just add more for your older child OR use Zoology 2 for your elementary student while doing Marine Biology for your older girl.

Maybe go find the Apologia yahoo group. The Apologia author is in there and answers questions. She may be able to tell you if doing the Zoo 2/Marine Biology thing together is feasible.

• Crissi804
    April 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Check out       www.mfwbooks.com   

My Father's World is very similar to Sonlight, but only gives you Bible, history, science, and geography.  you pick your own math, etc.....

Its very Charlotte Mason, meaning.... live books, not text books.   Good luck!

• motheroffour186
    December 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

www.Damand.com/

password:BOB

I have been trying to make my own for my children because I want them all four to work together so I found the one I do like and put it together for the rest of this year and next year looking throw book askimg lots of questions. Asking my children what they want to learn about because I wanted my 5th and 8th grades to work together. Maybe their activities my 4 year olds can join in together. I just want them to all learn together.

http://www.sonlight.com/science.html

Happy Homeschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts