Exclusively Pumping Mommies!

Loralismommy224
Pump on a schedule or no???
September 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Ok, so I've been EPing for 7 months now. For the 1st several mos, I pumped around the clock every 3 hrs (or tried to!). However, now I've been pumping whenever I can but just trying to fit in the 7 pumps/24 hrs thing. However, I've heard that its best to stick with a schedule when pumping. Is that true? I work 12-hr shifts, & I don't always get to pump at the same time every day- I just make sure I pump 4 times while I'm there. Any input would be appreciated- thanks!

Replies

• CandiceDanielle
    September 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    I've always heard a schedule is best and I stuck to one as much as possible.
  • D520
    by D520
    September 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    I usually try to pump on a schedule but I've also heard that the number of pumps are what matters and not necessarily the times. And wow! Pumping 4 times at work must be so hard! I work 8 hour shifts and was only pumping twice but am now down to one time. At 7 months you may be able to cut out a session and still get the same amount. It made me nervous to try, but at 4 months, I was able to get down to 4 pumps a day with the same supply. Maybe give it a try if you are comfortable...you might be surprised...and then not as stressed! :)
  • Loralismommy224
    September 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    Quoting D520:

I usually try to pump on a schedule but I've also heard that the number of pumps are what matters and not necessarily the times. And wow! Pumping 4 times at work must be so hard! I work 8 hour shifts and was only pumping twice but am now down to one time. At 7 months you may be able to cut out a session and still get the same amount. It made me nervous to try, but at 4 months, I was able to get down to 4 pumps a day with the same supply. Maybe give it a try if you are comfortable...you might be surprised...and then not as stressed! :)

Yes, that would be great! I usually pump @ 4am, 8-9am, 11-12am/pm, 3-4pm, 7pm, & then @ 10pm right before bed. I've been kind of scared to cut out a session, bc that's how a lot of women lose their supply. I don't overproduce (3-5ozs/session), & don't really have a stash-just enough to get her by while I'm @ work. I guess I can just try & see what happens...I'm trying to make it to a yr :)
  • D520
    by D520
    September 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    I was scared too! Maybe try it for a few days and see what happens. If your supply goes down, you can always add that session back and get it right back up! Good luck! :)
  • Loralismommy224
    September 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    Quoting D520:

I was scared too! Maybe try it for a few days and see what happens. If your supply goes down, you can always add that session back and get it right back up! Good luck! :)

Thanks! I'm going to try tomorrow.
  • .sp4rkl3z.
    October 1, 2012 at 2:18 AM
    I have always heard its the amount of sessions that counts. It didn't make a difference for me to pump on a set schedule...however if I deviated too much there was just not enough time in the day to fit enough sessions in!
  • Loralismommy224
    October 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    Quoting .sp4rkl3z.:I have always heard its the amount of sessions that counts. It didn't make a difference for me to pump on a set schedule...however if I deviated too much there was just not enough time in the day to fit enough sessions in!
    Thank you, I understand. Yes, those little hrs that you go over add up! Also, by now could I reduce the # of times I pump & still maintain my supply, or is that just a trial & error thing?
  • Stevensmomma
    November 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

i try to do every three hours sometimes it goes every four what i do is as soon as my baby finishes eating i pump so my body kinda mimics my babies timing for when he eats and i pump until i am empty and then for additional 5 mins. and this has worked so far and its been four months

• milk_mom
    November 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I work 12 hours as well. I also work days and nights. I'm trying to pump at the same times every day to keep agood amount of pump sessions. It's really hard. I still get most of my milk between 1am and 5am. I plan to try speed pumping or whatever its called on my days off to increase my supply. I'm only getting about 25 oz a day. My son drinks about 30oz a day.

• Stevensmomma
    December 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM

i try to do every three hours or as close to it as possible

Exclusively Pumping Mommies!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts