Potty Training Support

motherofjb
Night time potty learning
April 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM
My daughter is 21 months and has used the potty for two days now and only had two accidents!!! She even went to dinner and used the potty at the restaurants potty!!!! She takes naps without a diaper and does fine. But she isn't sleeping through the night yet. She wakes often to nurse. Last night she asked to use the potty but then didn't go. She had peed maybe once in her diaper. We use cloth diapers and she doesn't like to wear them. She likes her Big Girl panties or to be naked. At night I make her put a diaper on. What is the best way to teach her how to use the potty when half asleep ?

Replies

• katiebeth1821
    June 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM

its hard with mine i didnt push it he use to be in pull up at night intil he woke up with out being wet that didnt start till he turned 4 then i suggested to him and talk to him about it and after three days he asked to wear them. we always make him go potty before bath and then again before bed and he last all night.

• import1a92
    June 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    I invested in GoodNites Bed Mats, Dreft, back-up bedding sets and A LOT of patience.

My DD already has dayside, public potty, and zero accidents during naps with potty training down pat. She is 3.

We didn't give our DD any liquids after 6:30pm (depends on your child's bedtime and routine) at least 2 hours before she goes to bed.

We put her in bed with only a tshirt on and her underware, every night. The first week (since I wasn't scheduled to work for 10 days) I woke her up every hour (myself by kitchen timer of course) the first night to ask if she had to go. She went at 11pm and 3am.

The followoing night I woke her up every two hours. She had an accident within the first 2. So we gave her a quick shower and changed out the bed mat, bedding, tshirt & underwear and started all over again. She asked for some water and she has 2oz of that. Two hours later I woke her up, she didn't have to go. By that 3rd hour in, she got up out of bed and went on her portable potty in her room instead of the bathroom big potty. She went back to bed after wiping, dumping the portable potty catch in the toilet, flushing, and washing her hands in the bathroom. (She left the catch in the tub for us to clean since that's the normal routine-dayside.) And she went one more time on the big potty that night with no more accidents.

Day 3, we stuck with asking every two hours. She went twice that night after being asked.

Day 4, we asked every 3 hours. She went on her portable inbetween.

Day 5, we didn't ask. She just went on her own. Said she was a big girl and didn't need our help.

Day 6, she was dehydrated and wanted a water bottle by her bed. She had two accidents and called out to us to clean it up.

Day 7, she was still dehydrated. So we went back to waking her up every two hours with zero accidents in between. She peed 5 times that night.

During the winter months we tried with very little success and wore out our patience.

By Spring we had re-accessed our plan and I talked to other mom's at the playground to chose the right method for us.

We've dealt with alot of Day 7's since the begining of May when we put this method into the routine. It's just a matter of time when she does it on her own without sleeping through her body's ques. Until then, we aren't giving up nor discouraged.

Good luck!
  • Custer7306
    June 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Let her sleep in her panties at night, just like normal.   She won't like the feeling and it will help her know the feelings of going to the bathroom at night.  Also if my daughter would pee the bed in the middle of the night, i would just through blankets over the wet spot and deal with it in the morning!  She she will learn!! :) 
    Every kid is different!   Good luck mama! :) 

• DecemberMomma33
    June 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM

DS is going through this exact same thing at the moment.  He's been in cloth during the day since a newborn but we've always put him in a 'sposie at night, just because he's such a big wetter and the prefold irritates his skin when it gets soaked. 

He's now sleeping in big boy undies and starting to get the hang of it, I think.  He wets maybe once every three nights, and I have him sleep on a Brolly Sheet so that when he does have an accident the pee doesn't touch the mattress, sheets or blankets.  When it does happen, all I have to do is change his undies, take off the Brolly Sheet and then he can go back to sleep.  Most times he's actually only half awake anyway.

We're keeping a chilled out attitude and keeping calm, then carrying on :)  From one Mama to another, good luck!

• JoF
    by JoF
    July 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

@DecemberMomma33, I agree with you, those sheets are great for nighttime training.  Last night DD wet through her pull up, (3rd night in a row!), but we avoided the full bed strip, just pulled the Brolly Sheet off and she went straight back to sleep.  What a relief not to have to wash 2 x sets of sheets every day.

Let's hope that bad luck comes in threes, and that tonight is a soak-free night for us.  Crossing fingers and toes......

• Darkangelpunk
    September 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM

when i go to bed at about 3 or 4 i wake dd up and make her pee and then then she goes right back to sleep its been working for a few weeks now.

Potty Training Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts