Potty Training Support

perrywinkle
Help! Stubborn little boy!
April 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

My son is three and a half and absolutely refuses to potty train. We have had a small potty for him almost two years now- he sometimes sits on it, but that is it. Since this is Spring Break, I decided to start really trying this week. He has had two accidents in pants and peed twice on the floor. The last time I had him sitting on the potty and he got up to pee on the floor!

I think I have decided to put him in underwear and pants and just let him experience being wet. I have already told him about "rewards" he will get- toys, car rides, ect... Sticker charts do not work with him.  I also think I will stop pushing him to sit on the potty- he seems to know when to go, but doesn't want to go on the potty.

Anybody else experience this? I really don't know what to do.

Replies

• jeni1212
    April 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Have you tried putting the potty seat on the big potty? My son refused to use the little potty, he wouldn't even sit on it.
  • Connie127
    April 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    bump
  • trebelcleff
    April 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

What PP said about the big potty is a good suggestion.  The other suggestion is to let him pee "like a big boy"... standing up.  I split my training for our first into: Daytime pee, daytime poop, and night-time.  That way we could focus first on day peeing, then day pooping (which was an issue for our oldest), then night.  Worked well for us!

• perrywinkle
    April 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I tried the big potty- he is terrified of it. I am working on daytime now. I think he is just really stubborn- he has been in underwear all afternoon and is holding it. I am just trying to be really positive about sitting on the potty and not pushing him too hard.

• trebelcleff
    April 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It's kind of gross, but our little potty was too little for our chunks, and the big potty was a bit too big for them to stand up for, so we had them pee in the shower (standing up) when they were first learning... Of course we washed it down after (which can get annoying after a while).  It helped him learn to aim in an area where aim didn't really matter too much, and it's easier for them to watch (which seems to be a theme in our house lol).  Even our LO (currently in training) has an easier time and was more willing at first to pee in the shower than the potty... and now that he's comfortable peeing outside a diaper, he prefers the potty to the shower.  Weird suggestion, but when all else fails you may as well try everything LOL!!!

• elementalchick1
    April 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

We bought one of the toilet seats with the drop down child size seat that helped greatly.  We also started a no TV policy if he did not poo. We also explained in grown up detail about WHY we pee and poo in a potty, including where it goes and why. (Try starting with the magic school bus water polution control plant book and video.)  We also did treats. (we had the try everything approach) It has worked, but now we are wondering when we can taper off on the treats! (LOL)

• bbygourl27
    April 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM

try having him stand and aim at a cheerio when he pees...mine got so excited to do that...the excitement is there just no pee yet. I am with you on this though...I did the same things over spring break to no avail...just alot of laundry and accidents to clean. so frustrating

• perrywinkle
    April 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

He started to pee by the potty this morning- I sat him down really quickly and he finished in the potty. I gave him a prize and had him call his grandma. Then he had an accident in the same spot- he is holding it until he can pee in that spot. At least it is progress- maybe I will his daddy show him how to go standing up tonight.

Potty Training Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts