Potty Training Support

CaptivatedByGod
Pee trained, but not poo trained...any advice?
April 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

We did the 3 Day Potty Training method and it worked well. Kassie will tell us when she has to go pee and we take her throughout the day when she doesn't say anything and it's been a while. We also take her before she goes outside, when we get to the store, before bed and after she wakes up. She is doing great. But, we are having problems getting her to poop in the toilet. She goes in her underwear and doesn't seem to care. I did catch her going in her underwear once and she finished on the toilet. She got her M&M and I thought that would encourage her to go in the toilet from now on. But, it hasn't helped. She doesn't go on a schedule, so I really don't know when she's going to go. I say to her: "Tell Mommy if you have to go poopoo" and other similar phrases and she says okay. But, she'll still go in her underwear. Any suggestions or anything that worked for you? 

Replies

• jenniferlee_12
    April 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Does she hide or just poop anywhere? I would just watch for signs and catch her.

• jeni1212
    April 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

My son is doing the same thing! He has been pee pee potty trained for 2 weeks now but REFUSES to go poo in the potty. He goes right in his pants.  I have been asking around and apparently its very normal and is just another part of the potty training process :  (  Let me know if you find something that works, I am up for trying anything!!

• kobre
    by kobre
    April 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Same situation here.  I ask her does mommy poop in panties, she will say no, does daddy, she says no, does Al and she says no, we poop in potty.  Five minutes later she comes walking bow legged over to me saying she pooped in her panties.  Peeing she had down in a day. 

Quoting jeni1212:

My son is doing the same thing! He has been pee pee potty trained for 2 weeks now but REFUSES to go poo in the potty. He goes right in his pants.  I have been asking around and apparently its very normal and is just another part of the potty training process :  (  Let me know if you find something that works, I am up for trying anything!!

• kmencl3210
    April 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    I'm in the same position DS3 has been peeing in the potty for almost 2 weeks but keeps popping and were going through so much underwear he's almost out.... (I won't clean it, its still not solid and just a huge mess) hopefully someone has some good suggestions.
  • medicalemtb
    April 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I also need some suggestions on this. My son has been pee trained for months. But for some reason he won't poo on the potty. He has a few times in the past and we praised him just like we did when he would pee and he still poos in his underwear.

• JMama22
    by JMama22
    April 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    I'm in the same boat...hoping someone has an idea on what to do...
  • ClaribelC
    April 5, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    same here....
  • rodesea
    by rodesea
    April 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM

oh wow.. a lot of people with the same problem. We have it too but it's a little more complicated. We have a long history of constipation and holding bowel movements. He is pee trained, we go out without a diper, but we still use one at night. He is still working on his fears of pooping, and i let him have a diaper when he wants to go (better go in a diaper than holding it for weeks again) Don't have accidents because he is really good at holding (he worked those muscles) and always asks for a diaper. Can't wait 'till he will open his mind to try pooping in a potty soon.

• eleni1010
    April 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I had the same problem my son was pee trained within a couple of days back in February (he was 3yr4mo) he continued to poop in his underwear for 6 WEEKS. I hated cleaning it up and only tossed the ones could not get the stain out after washing thoroughly. not sure if it will work for you but i let him  play angry birds on my phone and he loved it. so i used it as his reward. for a month i would let him watch me play (yes a little cruel but so was he for pooping in his pants and making me clean it!!) when he tried to touch the screen i would close the phone and tell him if he wanted to play he had to make poop in the potty. I also think that he was uncomfortable with the potty and potty seat we had for him. he hated the little potty and would use the potty seat on the adult toilet. one day he said he didn't want even that seat so i helped him stay on the big toilet. it took a couple of days more of sitting on the adult toilet seat and enticing him with angry birds (i would sit on the floor of our bathroom playing angry birds while i waited for him to make me happy by pooping!!) finally one day he went and after washing our hands he played angry birds till my battery gave out.

that's my story. or his rather!  find something for "big boys/girls" and give him a taste of it but just enough to make him want more. then don't allow it till you get the result you want (poop in the potty). Thankfully he has not had any accidents since and in another month or so i think i'll start letting him wipe himself. i think he is ready and totally capable!!

have patience. i hated this bit of advice that i got from everyone i asked for help. usually the only advice i got. and i thought my family and friends were holding out on me!! like everything else you gotta find what works for each child. i'm sure potty training my daughter will be a completely different experience! good luck.

• marisab
    by marisab
    April 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

not sure i have the opposite problem

Potty Training Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts