Potty Training Support

Cafe Robin
Potty Training 101 - 3 day method and more!
February 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Here is a post for us to give advice to Moms who are potty training or getting ready to potty train.

Please share your best potty training tips!

fingers crossed

• See the replies below for tips on potty training.  Share your tips, too
  • Please feel free to start your own post on the group!
  • You may also want to see the tips listed here:  Potty Training tips!

Replies

• sunnymommy122
    March 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM

LOL...I never have had to take my children to the potty with me they have always followed! :)

Quoting pinkm143:

Start potty training from day 1!  Well not day 1 but as soon as your child is walking.  I don't mean have them use the potty but when you are DH are going have the child in there with you and tell them what is going on.  This helps soooooo much. Also start taking the poop and flushing it with a gentle reminder that big kids/moms/dads go poop and pee in the potty. 

This will help soooo much when their body is finally ready because they already know what goes on in there!

• sunnymommy122
    March 7, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I recommend Lora Jensen's 3 day potty training method.  I literally had no clue what to do when I began training my son.  Everyone just kept telling me to take him to the potty every half hour, but I could not get him to sit on the potty to save my life!  He was terrifed and would scream.  With Lora's method the training was better than I could have hoped for.  If you do that method, buy her book and read it over and over again until you get it.  Her method is more of a philosphy focusing on patience, lots and lots of positive reinforcement, love, and patience (again)!  :)

• musicpisces
    March 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I LOVED the 3 Day Method.  It is amazing! 

I'd say the keys are patience and consistency.  Just keep at it.  Don't expect miracles, just have faith it will happen.  DS had over 30 accidents on day 1.  6-7 on day 2, then magically, something clicked!  He's been trained ever since! 

Another thing to remember is that at first, there will be almost no warning time (as in 1-2 seconds).  This will slowly improve with time!  Any warning is still warning, and should be praised.

• dez_09
    by dez_09
    March 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM

how do i help my two yr old do #2 in the pot she will do #1 but wont poop

• Cafe Robin
    March 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM

by zolanmel   Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

wait till they are ready

have alot of patience.

take it slow

let them pick out their undies or pull ups.

by bhwrn1  Group Mod - Brooke on Mar. 1, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Take the child's lead and do not push. If they are not ready it makes it so much harder.

take them to the store and let them pick out underwear

layer the bed: waterproof mat, sheet, repeat. So if they wet the bed, you can just peel off the top layer!

• Cafe Robin
    March 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Quoting dez_09:

how do i help my two yr old do #2 in the pot she will do #1 but wont poop

Hi!

(This is a tip from page 11 on the thread Potty Training tips!) :

When there is poop anywhere besides the potty let them know its ok to do this in the potty and that it would feel better. Around the time that you think they will have to poop, show signs of needing to poop get him on the potty and try to keep him on with movies, stories or whatever to encourage the poop to come out, the first time might be a surprise. If he hides in the corner to poop, put the potty in that corner for a few days and when you see him hiding just quickly put him there and then you can move it back to the bathroom.

Hope that helps!

• Meghan9701
    March 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM

This!   I did the 3-day method and I used M&M's & pennies for rewards, One of each for peeing on the potty and 2 of each for pooping on potty.  I also bought a potty watch from babies r us.  It sings & lights up every 30, 60 or 90 minutes to remind your child to use the potty.  My son only used it for the 1st couple weeks, but it sure was handy in the beginning!

Quoting RobynS:

Underwear, underwear, underwear. That's my best tip. Skip the pull-ups!

• MommyMulli
    March 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Thank you for sharing!  We tried the three day at first, but we are not there yet.  It is about day 7.  We took the diapers away and have not put one back on him.  But I agree with you we are now doing what we think works best for him and we are seeing progress,  He will be three in May so he is a little older but he is a bit behind in speech too and we just had a baby 9 months ago so we waited.  How long did it take for you?  It is disheartening when everyone is saying they did it in 2, 3, 4 days...

• irishmom9700
    March 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM

The three day method sounds great, but what if your never home for three straight days. My son is in school 5 days and on the weekends there are always things to do with my other 2 kids.  Help!

• sunnymommy122
    March 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Potty Training Support