Food Storage 101

GoodyBrook
Canning!
October 18, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I just put up a few gallons of applesauce from my parents' trees.  It was the first canning I'd ever done on my own--ok, not exactly on my own, as I called mom a couple times with questions.  Still, I'm happy the way everything turned out!

Replies

• GoodyBrook
    January 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Unhappy update:  

So the canning didn't go as well as hoped, as I opened a pint last night in order to make DS2's one-year applesauce birthday cake.  There was mold on top.  I don't know what could have possibly went wrong, as the lid even "popped" when I opened it.  

I don't know whether to open all of them to toss, or leave them and be disappointed one at a time as I hopefully open them throughout the next year!

• TheBoysMomx4
    January 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I would not dump everything. Mold happens when not all air is removed from the jar so it could be a one jar issue. I'm really bad and forgetting the step to remove air bubbles and haven't found mold yet. It's just enough to really discourage you after all the work you did. Just look at the bright side of the learning proccess you know how to do it for this year. I tend to fill my jars just a little fuller than they recomend and I like the wide mouth jars because they are easier to get air bubbles out before putting on the lids.

• GoodyBrook
    January 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

^^ Step to remove air bubbles?   Hmmmmm...  Mom didn't mention this!  

What's involved, for future reference?

• laurag8707
    July 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Im curious what is the step to remove air bubbles?

Quoting TheBoysMomx4:

I would not dump everything. Mold happens when not all air is removed from the jar so it could be a one jar issue. I'm really bad and forgetting the step to remove air bubbles and haven't found mold yet. It's just enough to really discourage you after all the work you did. Just look at the bright side of the learning proccess you know how to do it for this year. I tend to fill my jars just a little fuller than they recomend and I like the wide mouth jars because they are easier to get air bubbles out before putting on the lids.

• TheBoysMomx4
    July 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Quoting laurag8707:

Im curious what is the step to remove air bubbles?

Quoting TheBoysMomx4:

Your to take a butter knife and slide it down the sides of the jar is how it was explained to me. Look for air bubbles and pop them. Do a search on you tube and see if someone has a video to show you how to do it.  I'm self taught and always think I'm doing something wrong.

• BurrowsClan
    February 19, 2016 at 9:43 PM

General question... how much does it cost for supplies to get set up to begin.  I realize that it will vary by the amount of jars I decide to get but if someone can give me some pointers, I appreciate it.

• Melodee0119
    February 19, 2016 at 10:00 PM
    These will be super rough estimates but I hope it helps...0pressure cooker $100 water bath canner $30 ...new jars including rings and lids are $.50-$1.50 each usually in packs of 6 or 12. Tongs, funnel, etc maybe $20 blue ball canning book $10

Quoting BurrowsClan:

General question... how much does it cost for supplies to get set up to begin.  I realize that it will vary by the amount of jars I decide to get but if someone can give me some pointers, I appreciate it.

Food Storage 101

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts