Food Storage 101

GoodyBrook
Recipes that use canned baby food?
September 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I inherited quite a bit of jarred baby fruit that I have no intention of using as intended.  But it's due to expire shortly, and I'm wondering if anyone has recipes that utilize canned baby food.  (I have prunes, pears, peaches, and mango)

Any way to throw it into some quick bread?  Maybe a pie?

All suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• veggiegirl25
    September 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    I wonder if you can use it like applesauce is baking. Maybe some oatmeal cookies...those flavors all should go well oatmeal.

Maybe you can add some fresh fruit and make a crisp. For example, cut up some peaches and mix the peach jars with it, then add the crisp topping. Never used puréed fruit in a crisp, but you might have to cook down some of the water content that way it's not too soggy.

Can you turn them into a butter, like apple butter? I have heard of pear butter. But I not sure how that would work if its fixin' to expire.

If I get time today I will look into some of cookbooks that are 100 years+. They are full of ways to use things up!
  • GoodyBrook
    September 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I ended up using my banana bread recipe and substituting in two 4 ounce jars of pears.  It turned out sooooo moist!  The batter was runnier than normal, so I was a bit concerned it wouldn't hold together well, but it did.

Food Storage 101

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts