Food Storage 101

piankatankqueen
A Wheat question ....
June 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

So I was watching this video on youtube and was trying to learn about sprouting...I see the LDS cannery sells hard red and white wheat. I don't know much about wheat so my question is :

Can the wheat purchased at the LDS Cannery be sprouted?

Im almost certain there are different forms of wheat one can buy, so I don't know what form this is and what to do with it.

Thank you

Tonia confused

Replies

• GoodyBrook
    June 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I've heard that anything that is stored devoid of oxygen cannot be sprouted.   But to be honest, I've never tried to sprout anything from a #10 can...  Oh, I hope some of the other moms in this group have!!!  What a great question!

• JaceeDC
    by JaceeDC
    June 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I have just read from two expert sites that you cannot sprout seeds such as wheat that has been stored in oxygen deprived containers. However, I also just read (in the comments on one expert site & on a forum about food storage)  that, yes, you can sprout wheat after having stored it in buckets, Mylar bags with 02 absorbers.

The person from the forum sprouted wheat that had been stored for 5 years. He even had photos of the Mylar bag tightly sucked down, then a photo of the handful of wheat he took out of that container that was beginning to sprout.

He did say that in his experiments, the older wheat that had been without oxygen took longer to sprout. As an example, fresh wheat takes only about 2 days to sprout. The 5-year old wheat took about 7-8 days.

So there you have it - experiment and see what you get.

Food Storage 101

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts