Food Storage 101

energygirl
What do you store for oils?
February 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I rotate through olive oil and some canola.......but what else do you store? I was going to store Crisco (because of the long long shelf life) but after reading more about Crisco....I don't think it's so safe.,...  I do have some butter powder...and was considering shortening powder (but wouldn't that be the same ingredients as Crisco??)

Replies

• kimmykim
    February 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Crisco is shortening, so yes, they are the same.

I keep vegetable oil, olive oil, coconut oil, lard and shortening on hand.  These are all short term oils though, relatively speaking.

I also have powdered butter and powdered maragine.

• GoodyBrook
    February 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I have olive oil and coconut oil.  Plus a few #10s of powdered butter.

Typically I have veggie oil and shortening, too, but I'm phasing them out of my food prep.

I'm VERY short on oils, so my eyes are peeled for sales...

• luvmysoldier1
    March 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I am working on a huge bottle of evoo. It is almost gone and expired two months ago. It tastes fine and I don't see anything unusual. Is it normally safe to use expired oil?

• energygirl
    March 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Quoting luvmysoldier1:

I am working on a huge bottle of evoo. It is almost gone and expired two months ago. It tastes fine and I don't see anything unusual. Is it normally safe to use expired oil?

I would think being a few months past the date is different than years past....... some dates are just a "suggestion" but watch that it doesn't taste or smell rancid...
  • Spyswife
    April 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I'm pretty short on oils as well. A few cans of powdered butter and a gallon of canola oil, but I'm lacking for sure.

I do stock up on margarine and butter when they go on sale and have quite a bit in the deep freezer. When we were without power for 10 days during Sandy, they stayed frozen, which was nice. 

• Jambo4
    by Jambo4
    April 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I had a case of veg oil that I bought in 2010.  I was surprised, but I've used it all.  I need to get some more in storage.  I have nothing right now.

• GoodyBrook
    April 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I have a quart bottle of EVOO that I opened up yesterday and it's completely rancid.  It was stored in a cool, dark pantry, and there are months left until it expires.  :(

• JaceeDC
    by JaceeDC
    June 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No oils are good for long term storage, except for coconut oil. Coconut oil will not go rancid. Here's an article about storing fats and oils. http://.family-survival-planning.com/storing-fats-and-oils.html

• TXmomof5cubs
    June 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Great info! Thank you.

Quoting JaceeDC:

No oils are good for long term storage, except for coconut oil. Coconut oil will not go rancid. Here's an article about storing fats and oils. http://.family-survival-planning.com/storing-fats-and-oils.html

• Daylilyangel
    June 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    I would also do some research on Canola oil. You hear great stuff through most publications but I had a driend one time ask me if I had ever heard of a canola plant. I told her no and laughed till I teared up. I did some research and since then I've just used vegetable. Now I have heard that grapeseed oil and coconut oil are healthy, in addition to olive oil. I would also look into ways to preserve butter or use butter substitite. Even though Crisco is not healthy I would probably store some for cake icing, if desired.

Food Storage 101

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts