* 24/7 CHAT 4 MOMS

hannahridder
Potty training help please!!
August 25, 2009 at 2:15 AM

I need some suggestions for geting my 2 year old son to poop on the toilet, he tells me every time he has to potty, but for some reason he doesnt with pooping. If he does, hes running to the bathroom, while hes pooping..so its still in his underwear... some days I think he holds it until I put his diaper on before bed.  I'm at my wits end with having to deal with poop!!! Any suggestions??

Replies

• hannahridder
    August 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM

bump

• freemangirls
    August 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

thats a tuff one. i read a book on training and they said to put them on the potty about a half an hour after they eat. it worked for my daughter good luck

• aupairlady
    August 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Potty training is a tough one.  This is something that the child has total control over and sometimes uses to exhibit their independence.  2 years old is really young to be completely potty trained and having a bowel movement is something that they see as kind of losing a part of themselves.  They are afraid to let it go in the potty.

If your son is using the potty for all of his urine, that is a great thing!  Now you know he has the control to hold it and make it to the bathroom.  The rest is really up to him.  You can't "make" him poop in the potty, you can only encourage and maybe reward it if he does.

Good luck!

• frat_twin_mama
    August 26, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Pooping is usually a harder one for kids to master.  My 3 year old boy is still working on that one.  He just recently started telling us when he has to pee.  His twin sister has had the peeing down for about 6 months and the pooping for about 3 months.  I think the sensation is different and it just takes them longer to learn it.  I just kept putting it from their underwear into the toilet and telling them that's where poop goes.  Also we used a reward system.  One M & M or jelly bean for peeing in the toilet (two if they told us they had to go or went by themselves instead of us taking them on a schedule).  Three for pooping on the toilet, and a big treat like a sucker if they tell us or go poop on their own.  If you don't want to do candy, you could try stickers or a treasure box with little toys/prizes.

* 24/7 CHAT 4 MOMS

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts