All about Toddlers

mom_to_kenzie
developemental evaluation? **UPDATE**
August 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM
At ds's 2 year well child visit, his doc told me she wanted him evaluated for speech. He's not really communicating--he only says a few words--but still babbles a lot. We all seem to think he's really just moving at his own pace, but she just wants to be sure. So, he's scheduled to go in and have the initial evaluation done and we can decide from there if we want to pursue this further, if he qualifies for help. Now, he gave up his pacifier just a week or two before that doc visit, and his speech has already progressed so much in the last month. What can I expect at this evaluation? What does my role need to be? They said that it looks more like play than anything..and something about it being a two hour evaluation and the last hour either them or us leaving the room, I can't remember which. Ds doesn't do good when we leave the room, if we're the ones that have to leave. He'll flip out. Has anyone been through this already and willing to offer advice or their experience?

Words he can say:

Ka-- shrek
Gro (sounds more like ga)--gross
Ew
Bob bob--spongebob
Ca-car
Bye
Hi
Curkey-Turkey
Will
Ilk--milk (not sure how to explain how it comes out sounding)
Mom
Dada
Daddy
Sica-sippy cup
Gee--hungry
Yeah
Biii-bite
Boo--book
Pee--push (like push the button)
Ha--hard (like push the button hard)
Brr (I know this really isn't a word but still)
Hot
Yay
Nah nah (my mom)
Ca pa--call papa (my dad)
A snaaaaack-Lol a snack he drags the a out!

*I think he's trying to say his sisters name (kenzie) and his brothers name (Jackson) every now and then.

Body parts he can point to when asked where it is:

Belly
Nose
Mouth
Hand
Eye

*eyes and hand are only some of the time.

He can follow two step directions as well.

**UPDATE***

we went to the evaluation and of course they feel like he needs their services. We would have to pay $7500 after insurance kicks in, and honestly, we just don't have that kind of money, even doing a payment plan. For now, we declined the services. We do feel like he's just doing this at his own pace and he's added probably 15-20 words since I posted this. Where do I go from here? How do I work with him so he is talking more and doing more? Do I just ride it out or is there anything I can do to get him going?

Replies

• melissa7283
    September 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    I would do the eval. Go from there. If he needs speech therapy?! It could only be a good thing! It will help alot! As his mother i recommend u to go forth with it! (: Keep me posted!
  • mom_to_kenzie
    September 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    Quoting melissa7283:

I would do the eval. Go from there. If he needs speech therapy?! It could only be a good thing! It will help alot! As his mother i recommend u to go forth with it! (: Keep me posted!

Thanks! Dh doesn't seem to understand that it'd be a good thing. We go Monday, and of course since this post was made, he's added about ten more words or small phrases (like "come on").
  • melissa7283
    September 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    Do the eval ! (:

Quoting mom_to_kenzie:

Quoting melissa7283:

Thanks! Dh doesn't seem to understand that it'd be a good thing. We go Monday, and of course since this post was made, he's added about ten more words or small phrases (like "come on").

• mom_to_kenzie
    September 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

BUMP!

• cali_gurl
    October 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

2 years old is not that old. I would not be worried at this point, and I wouldn't be paying $7500 out of pocket either. My 20 month old son watches PBS (Super Why and Sesame Street) daily and he can clearly say about half of the alphabet (he recognizes letters out of order on paper and says them well aloud). Start playing word games with your son and without the pacifier I am sure he will be talking in no time. :)

• CmC1307
    by CmC1307
    November 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I recommend signing time ! Learning sign language is a multisensory approach to learning speech. They hear the word, see the word on the screen and have a hand signal to go along with it. It hits at three of their five senses which is great and keeps them engaged. My daughters vocabulary is through the roof and i attribute it to signing time and lots and lots of book reading together. More looking through the books pointing to images, items etc than just reading the story line.

All about Toddlers