All about Toddlers

Momofmenagerie
I really am going to lose my mind...
June 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM
He's not quite three and is done with naps but absolutely has to have one because he's a monster three hours before bed.

Heck, I need a nap after lunch! He'll agree to sit quietly and " rest" in his bed, but I can't " rest" waiting for the obvious signs he's done " resting" about an hour.

Bed is at 8
Morning is around 8, I've not interest in changing bedtime. It's the only couple of hours if respite I get before I conk out less than two hrs later.

No, we probably doesn't get enough active time because the heat here is oppressive and also makes my frequent migraines much worse.

Are there ANY suggestions to get him that obviously needed nap?

Replies

• Momofmenagerie
    June 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    Bump
  • LoreleiSieja
    June 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    I have two suggestions, actually. First though, where do you live? Is there any place you can go outside for more activity, especially in the morning, between 10 - 11am? He NEEDS the outside time to burn off energy, and getting that sunlight and fresh air will make him sleepier. Then when he comes in for lunch, he'll be so ready for that nap. Kids need naps clear through kindergarten. Most American children are not getting enough sleep - and lack of sleep can be a major cause of ADHD. Find something you and he can do outside in the mornings - if you have a shady spot in your back yard for a splash pool or sand box, great. Otherwise, you may have to take him to a park by a beach- usually cooler there. 1) increase outdoor activity/ indoor activity in the mid morning, between 10 - 11. He needs to run, crawl, climb, swing, ride a trike, bounce a ball, and develop those large muscles and burn off energy. 2) take a nap with him. Pull him into YOUR bed, (or you can crawl in his, if it's big enough) and read him a book or two right after lunch and going to the bathroom. Then, after two books, let him look at another book on his own, while you read a book. After about ten minutes, tell him it's time to rest now. He must stay laying down. He must be quiet. Nine times out of ten, he will fall asleep. And you can fall asleep, then, too. I did this with my granddaughter for years, until she started kindergarten. Boy, it was hard for me to give up that naptime routine when I no longer had an excuse! Good luck!
  • Momofmenagerie
    June 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    Thank you. He's a busy boy, always on the move and really WANTS to be outside all day everyday if he ( and I) could. I hope to refill the sandbox this week, and we have the park (which is a word he can already spell, btw) but you can walk out the door at nine am and feel yourself perspiring and energy deplete. We try , and do the play tubes at McDonald's or the bounce place..... However , if curling up with him is something that'll help is both, I'm so willing to try!
    It isn't just him that needs enough sleep, but my temper flares MUCH quicker when I don't.
    Truth hurts

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

I have two suggestions, actually.

First though, where do you live? Is there any place you can go outside for more activity, especially in the morning, between 10 - 11am? He NEEDS the outside time to burn off energy, and getting that sunlight and fresh air will make him sleepier. Then when he comes in for lunch, he'll be so ready for that nap. Kids need naps clear through kindergarten. Most American children are not getting enough sleep - and lack of sleep can be a major cause of ADHD. Find something you and he can do outside in the mornings - if you have a shady spot in your back yard for a splash pool or sand box, great. Otherwise, you may have to take him to a park by a beach- usually cooler there.

1) increase outdoor activity/ indoor activity in the mid morning, between 10 - 11. He needs to run, crawl, climb, swing, ride a trike, bounce a ball, and develop those large muscles and burn off energy.

2) take a nap with him. Pull him into YOUR bed, (or you can crawl in his, if it's big enough) and read him a book or two right after lunch and going to the bathroom. Then, after two books, let him look at another book on his own, while you read a book. After about ten minutes, tell him it's time to rest now. He must stay laying down. He must be quiet.
    Nine times out of ten, he will fall asleep. And you can fall asleep, then, too.

I did this with my granddaughter for years, until she started kindergarten. Boy, it was hard for me to give up that naptime routine when I no longer had an excuse!

Good luck!

All about Toddlers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts