All about Toddlers

trinitysmama33
vegetarian or no?
February 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM

So I was a lacto-ovo-vegetarian before I was pregnant with DD, but with how badly animic I was, my doctor told me to start eating at least chicken/turkey.  But after I had my DD, I went back to being vegetarian.  My DD had now 11 months old, and I don't know if it would be a good idea or not to not give her meats.  She has had some meat already, and Dh thinks we should keep giving it to her until she is older and let her pick if she wants to be like Mommy or Daddy (he eats meat).  I kind of agree, but I don't want to give her red meats.  Is that a bad idea?  Should I just give her meat or none at all?  

Replies

• amyrebecca1853
    February 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    I had a healthy full term pregnancy with twins... Completely vegetarian. I just added an iron supplement. Don't get why so many doctors push meat eating. Strange. Both my kids are still vegetarian, growing and doing just fine but that's really up to you and your husband.
  • akm378mn
    March 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I am a vegetarian, have been since 1997.  I didn't eat meat during pregnancy.  But I did have to take an iron supplement because my iron got really low during the 2nd trimester. 

My son eats meat.  I don't like him having a lot of red meat.  I don't really mind him having chicken and fish that much.  I feel like he needs some meat for the protein and iron. 

He does eat some red meat, but not nearly as much as chicken and seafood. 

For me, I think it would be hard to give them enough protein and iron from other foods when they are so little.  My son's iron was already on the lower side (still within normal range) when they tested it at one of his check-ups.  (maybe at 1 year?)

But I know how you feel being a vegetarian and wondering whether to feed your child meat or not.  My son is almost 2.

When I was a kid I didn't like meat much at all, but I still ate a little bit.  I didn't become a full vegetarian until I was 17.  So I guess I agree with your dh, give her meat and then let her decide as she gets older.  But if you aren't comfortable with red meat, then limit that.  But maybe still allow chicken, etc? 

All about Toddlers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN