All about Toddlers

Newmommys101
how did you deal with?
December 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM
How would you deal with a 3 year imold that spits all the time? It keeps getting worse. Now he.runs off to spit in other rooms. Takes full mouth full drink on my floor. We have hardwood floors so easy to clean up. How did you or would you get him to stop. Tine out does not work. He is 3 and a half.

Replies

• erinj
    by erinj
    December 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    Do you make him clean up the mess? That's my only thought, I don't have a spriiter but a spiller. Once he had to start cleaning up the mess it wasn't fun anymore! GL.
  • luvc09
    by luvc09
    December 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I would make him clean it up, before hes aloud to do anything. You can offer him an award if he goes so many days with out spitting. You can keep track of it by putting a sticker on a calender, and after say 3 stickers in a row he gets a prize.

• LoreleiSieja
    January 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM

You could also fill a glass with warm water, add a bit of salt to it, and stand him in front of the toilet.  Have him take a sip, and spit it in the toilet... again and again and again and again until the glass is done.  Perhaps he will lose an interest in spitting.

Tell him that spitting should be done only in the toilet. Every time he spits, make him wipe it up and send him into the bathroom to spit and spit.  It's up to you if you want to make him spit salt-water, or plain water.  Mild salt water isn't harmful, but you wouldn't want him to swallow it.  It is unpleasant to taste though, so might discourage the spitting.  You could put a small shake of red pepper in the water for him to spit - that would get his attention.

We always try to make house rules in the positive.  Instead of "No Spitting" you would say, "Spit in the bathroom toilet, only".  Instead of "no hitting", we say, "Hands are for loving touches".  Instead of "no kicking" we say, "Feet belong on the floor."

Good luck!  This will pass.

All about Toddlers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts