Working Moms

MixedCooke
HELP ME WITH MY SCHEDULE!
August 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I work nights and have one in part time pre-school until Noon and my other in elementary until 2pm.  Generally i would stay up until I put my part-timer to nap at 2pm but now its pushed closer to 3pm so Im not getting to bed until closer to 330pm.  I was trying to take a nap in the morning before I get my part-timer by Noon to make up for any sleep loss not getting to bed by 330pm.  Now I find myself even more tired by 5pm that luckily my hubby has been coming home early and managing the girls and cooking dinner so I can sleep!  I just have not been able to manage with this new school schedule because I am sooooo exhausted now!  I need some ideas lady!

here is what my plan was:

sleep from 930am until 1145am--2 hours and 15 minutes of sleep

sleep from 330 until 5pm--1 hour 30 minutes of sleep

sleep from 7 until 945pm--2 hours and 45 minutes of sleep

That would give me 6.5 hours of sleep broken into 3 naps, which was more sleep than what I was getting waiting until 230pm to sleep and waking at 445pm and then sleeping by 730pm and waking by 10pm

Replies

• leahbeah143
    August 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

If you can function on broken sleep like that, I say do what you gotta do!

• deccaf
    by deccaf
    August 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Is 5 when the girls wake from nap?  If there is any way you can knock out the waking time from 5 to 7, that would probably be better.  Broken sleep is really bad for you.

• Saphira1207
    August 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

This.

If it's at all possible, maybe hire someone to come in and watch them in the afternoons before your husband gets home ....?  A teenager should be able to handle a couple hours after school and you'd be able to get some more sleep.

Quoting deccaf:

Is 5 when the girls wake from nap?  If there is any way you can knock out the waking time from 5 to 7, that would probably be better.  Broken sleep is really bad for you.

• christyg
    August 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM

There is no way that you will be able to function on sleep so broken. Can you hire someone from noon-5:00, to get the girl picked up, naps, and maybe dinner started. Then, you can enjoy the evening with your family and maybe get another quick nap in after the kids go to bed? 

• Loveplusmama
    August 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    I agree that incremental sleep doesn't allow you to go through the deeper sleep cycles. Sleep debt accumulates over time so while it may work in the short term, over time you will feel the effects.
  • bizEmommie
    August 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM

If you can do it, go for it. I had this EXACT scenario but I don't sleep much. I went sleeping just 2 hours in the morning while my youngest was in preschool and that was it. Daily 2 hours for about a year. I still do it sometimes if I pick up extra shifts. I'm a single mom so never had "hubby" to come home and relieve me to rest. And some people actually do well with broken sleep. I think all in all, you just do what you have to. I know it's rough, believe me, but it's temporary. We are supermoms!

• MixedCooke
    August 31, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Quoting Saphira1207:

This.

If it's at all possible, maybe hire someone to come in and watch them in the afternoons before your husband gets home ....?  A teenager should be able to handle a couple hours after school and you'd be able to get some more sleep.

Quoting deccaf:

They are 3 and 5.5 so no can do by themselves and my lack of sleep is because I want to spend time with them.

• dlock25
    by dlock25
    August 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    Spending time doesn't any of you any good if you're to tired to do anything. Think quality over quantity.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting Saphira1207:

This.

Quoting deccaf:

They are 3 and 5.5 so no can do by themselves and my lack of sleep is because I want to spend time with them.

• Saphira1207
    August 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

:)  I'm not sure where you got the idea to leave them alone.  I would never ever suggest something like that for those ages.  That's why I suggested a sitter.  And as another poster said,  quality over quantity is much better for the kids.  They'll have much better memories of you that way.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting Saphira1207:

This.

Quoting deccaf:

• qslaqhay
    August 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    I know the feeling. i usually get home from work around 6:30 am and my child is awake... I can sleep 2 full hrs a day at 2 pm and maybe 2 more around 7:30 before i have to get ready to work again! not easy!! So im hiring a nanny to be home from 7-12 so i could get any sleep!

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN