Working Moms

Bubbie0809
Food shaming? Has anyone had this experience?
August 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I was food shamed at a birthday party yesterday. The mom I was sitting with is "dairy free, gluten free, no sugar, or processed foods" for her kids. While I don't judge or don't care what she feeds her kids. She proceeded to try to make me feel bad because there was nothing at the party I told my kids they couldn't eat -  sprite, chips, hot dogs, cake, ice cream, fruit and dip ect.

I was told that I am not teaching my kids good eating habits, when I got the opportunity to sit some where else I did. 

I don't judge because of the way she feeds her kids, but she was Very judgmental on the way I feed mine. 

I don't understand trying to make someone else feel bad because you disagree with whatever choices that they make. I think we are all trying to do the best we can. 

Replies

• preacherskid
    August 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I have experienced the opposite- I am a mean mommy for not letting my kids have all the soda, chips, and sweets they want.  This comes from MIL, so I take it with a grain of salt lol.  My kids don't handle that stuff well, either they are allergic to it or it just makes them crazy, and I don't want to deal with it.  I would never food shame another for feeding their kids differently than I do mine.

• DeeMD82
    by DeeMD82
    August 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM

My cousin acts all high and mighty because I let my dd drink yahoo, tea,  and other stuff and he only lets his kids drink water or WIC milk.

• Mommabearbergh
    August 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    Your nice because have a who gives a shit attitude and that would have pretty much been the look on my face
  • Mommabearbergh
    August 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Is wic milk different then regular milk?

Quoting DeeMD82:

My cousin acts all high and mighty because I let my dd drink yahoo, tea,  and other stuff and he only lets his kids drink water or WIC milk.

• quickbooksworm
    August 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I would have made her feel like shit for being so restrictive.  That door can swing both ways.

• strongerwtime
    August 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

This is so ridiculous...ok its a party...a kids bday party.  Girl ignore and delete this guilt trip from your mind.  Im glad you found somewhere else to sit.

• BabyBearsMom608
    August 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    Yah . Im curious if it is different too :)

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting DeeMD82:

• preacherskid
    August 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM

No but you get almost twice as much milk as any normal family will go through in a month.

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting DeeMD82:

• strongerwtime
    August 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

nope :)

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting DeeMD82:

• one_on_the_way
    August 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I am curious what was actually said --- did this mother specifically say to you "You are not teaching your kids good eating habits."?  Or did she say "I am trying to teach my children good eating habits."?

Working Moms