Working Moms

funhappymom
Is your job family friendly?
August 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Is your job family friendly?

If your child ends up sick, are you able to take a day off to spend with her? Are you able to leave early to pick up a sick child? What about after school activities? Are you able to go to them or do you miss some because of your job?

Replies

• mumsy2three
    August 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Yes my job is family friendly. I get 10 sick days/year. Five of them can be used as family sick days. These days accumulate with no limit. I get 3 personal days/year that can be used for anything, as long as 3 days notice is given. I can use up to 4 days at a time and can carry up to six days/year. If you don't use at least 3 days when you are at your maximum 6, then you will lose them. The hours are great~ I work M-F 730 to 3. I am home before my sons get off the bus and I don't have to worry about missing their practices, games or after school activities because of work. I do however miss out on some of the activities that happen during the school day b/c of my work schedule. I really wish I had this job when our dd was in elementary school b/c I did miss much more when she was younger.

• leahbeah143
    August 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Yes, my job is very family friendly. As long as I have PTO I can use it for whatever I want or need to. Usually I end up having to save it up for snow days lol

• Marz31
    by Marz31
    August 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

As flexible as it can be. I can't normally work from home, but I had the flu in January and during my crunch time so they got one fixed up for me to use for one thing that just couldn't wait (and no one else currently can do, but that's one of my goals this year is to crosstrain for that stuff). So I would say yes, chances are, my work wouldn't get done so I'd have to figure it out, but I've never had an issue with taking time off for a sick child or to go to her daycare for something during the day (halloween party etc). There will probably be school things I have to miss for one reason or another, but there were things my parents missed because my mom was a teacher (at other schools, never mine) and my dad just couldn't get away....it's not great, but it's ok.

• Sister_Someone
    August 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

No. No, no and no. 

I've never actually asked for a day off to spend with my sick child, I'm not dumb enough to even bring it up, but I have been told by my superior that I can't allow my own subordinates a day off for sick children, or any random day off without at least a week's advance notice.

Leaving earlier to pick up a sick child is also frowned upon, if not flat-out forbidden, and I know for a fact that my superiors keep a tally. 

I do make sure to go to the important after-school stuff, but I'm not there for all of them, nor could I make that work with my schedule.

The mother in me thinks that this is kind of not exactly right, but the workaholic in me agrees that having people take days off for their sick children is inexcusable considering that we're short on people anyway and not allowed to have another person in the lab. Everyone knew what they signed up for when we started this, to the last letter, and whoever doesn't like it is free to go find another job.

• catevincesmom
    August 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I work in fast food, so it's pretty flexible. I can go to any school thing for the most part-I just have to request the day off a week or two in advance.  And I have left early when my ds got hurt.  I have called in when they got sick.  They do have an attendance policy similar to any other dicipline thing.  once in a month, verbal warning. 2d, written. 3d, susp. 4th, term. 

• christyg
    August 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My job is family friendly, in that I work from home so I am here if the kids have a day home from school. But its NOT family friendly in that I am never able to go to any of their school functions or sports. I chose to open a daycare from my home to be available to my kids, but its the exact thing that keeps me away from most of thier things. Its not a fun catch22 to be in. 

• preacherskid
    August 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

One employer is "family friendly" to the extent that if I say I have a sick child and no one else to watch them, they don't pitch a fit.  Of course my attendance takes a hit as that employer provides NO sick days and NO PTO at all, just up to three days worth of "free attendance" that can be used to avoid a negative mark on our attendance for a total twelve months.  Being the sole provider, and considering this time is started in February when all the viruses are going around, I go through that time by March.  This employer is not short handed, that is simply their policy for call center employees.

My other employer allows as much PTO as can be earned, I am still in my initial 90 day new hire probation so I can't use it but I am accruing it.  They are more flexible, for example I am off today after dental work and they had no problem with it.  If I can't make it to the call center tomorrow my attendance score will drop by one or two points.

• Mireya926
    August 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Yes to all of the above. I am a preschool teacher so they are really family. Even when I don't have a babysitter cuz my son's school is closed fo staff DevelopmenT I can bring him in. Since he is only 5 years old he still blends in. Once he get older he can Volunteer.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    August 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yes, my job is EXTREMELY family friendly.  We get unlimited sick days (without penalty) so anytime I need to go grab a kid from school, attend an event, take a day off for illness or whatever, I just tell them what I'm doing and they just say "OK".

They trust us to get our work down and don't police the hours we're actually doing the work.

• Marti123
    August 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    I have one job at the university that is fairly family friendly with a flexible schedule. A lot of work can be done on my own time.

My clinic job is NOT family friendly at all. I have clinic patients scheduled so a sick day for me dominoes and messes up a lot of schedules. I also round in the hospital. It is busy and fast paced, long hours. I miss a lot when working at that job, one of the reasons I chose to teach full-time and do clinic only part-time.

Working Moms