Working Moms

Cafe Jenn
I Killed the Family Pet -- AGAIN
August 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I Killed the Family Pet -- AGAIN

by Mary Fischer 

sea monkeysYou guys? I suck. Like big time. And I'm just not sure there's any hope for me as far as being a successfulpet owner goes -- since I'm basically responsible for the demise of the latest additions to our family.

I love dogs. I really do. But I can't handle a dog right now because I'm the only person who is home all day and I don't want to be the one who has to deal with every single aspect of dog rearing. And we can't get acat because my husband is allergic to them. (Total buzz kill.)

Over the past couple of years, we've had numerousgoldfish, all of which have met an untimely death and were given a proper toilet funeral. I refuse to go through yet another burial "at sea," so no more fish for us.

And that's why when my son begged me for another pet a couple of weeks ago, I decided to go the easy route by purchasing him some sea monkeys.

My thought process in selecting our new pets went something along the lines of: "They sell 'em at a toy store, for God's sake -- how hard can it be to sustain these things?"

Apparently a lot tougher than I thought. (Either that or again -- I really suck at life.)

followed the directions perfectly. I put in the water purification packet. I poured the eggs in 24 hours later. After the little buggers hatched, I waited the full five days to feed them. That was yesterday. And today? Yeah, they're ALL dead. Or at least I think they're dead, because there's no movement in their tank. (I even shook the damn thing a little to make sure -- but still there's nothing whatsoever swimming around in there.)

This morning, when I dropped my son off at camp, he told me he couldn't wait to check on his sea monkeys when he gets home today. Uhhhh -- what the hell am I supposed to tell him? That his mother is so bad at taking care of pets, she managed to kill what has to be one of the easiest things to keep alive?

And I'm sure he'll get over it right after I throw the consolation prize of getting a dog in a couple years his way -- because he's usually satisfied when I put that little bribe idea out there.

But if I can't deal with sea monkeys -- what the fu&% am I supposed to do with said dog when and if it actually enters our lives?

OMG. I already feel sorry for the poor thing and it's not even a done deal yet.

I think I'd better get my act together before then. If we get a dog and something happens to it, I'll never be able to dig my way out of that one.

Do you have any suggestions for an easy pet -- preferably one you can't kill?

Image via Mary Fischer

Replies

• catevincesmom
    August 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Hmm. . .how about a hamster?  They live about a yr or so, but they're fun to watch & relatively easy to take care of.  Your son could even help.  I have a hard time as well w/ water pets.  They're just so overly sensitive to any sorta' change. 

• leahbeah143
    August 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I struggle with fish and fish related pets too!

I would say bunnies or kitties are pretty easy to take care of and are cute and fun.

• andrea96
    August 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I think cats are easy. Fish don't last long in our house.

• preacherskid
    August 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Most people don't like them, but rats are super easy starter pets.  They are easy to care for, nearly impossible to kill (unless you feed them rat poison lol) and pretty easy to train.  DH has had several rats, all are friendly and got along well with small kids.

• Jenn77781
    August 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I killed a fish before... did everything I was supposed to do and still it ended up dead.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    August 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

All my fish always die.  I've gone to the pet store and bought everything they said - followed directions to a 'T' and they still die.

I give up.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    August 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Oh - but we've had great success with out dogs.  I think it's a water thing.

• Saydar
    by Saydar
    August 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

My husband got me these little bastards 2 years ago and they won't die! Feed twice a week and clean their aquarium every few months. That's it!

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Aquatics-Frog-Aquarium-Frogs/dp/B003XKNA5G

• calsmom62
    August 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    buy some brine shrimp at the pet store. its actually food for other fish. then he wont know you lilled them
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    August 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

gerbil?

Working Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts