Working Moms

Meritangel
Can I accept a job with vague responsibilities?
July 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so hello all working moms!  I currently have a good job at good company, but recently found a position at this same company that would be a big promotion in pay.  I felt that I met the qualifications and applied for the job.  However, other than the job title being similar to my current position, the job description and role that was offered at the application process was very vague.  I got the interview, so I hoped that I would be able to get more information about the roles and responsibilites during the interview.  Unfortunately, though I asked many questions, I was not at all clearer about what my job role would be other than to supervise 3 people and it is a newly created position.  I won't find out until next week if I am offered the position or not, but I'm not sure I should accept it.  I am concerned since this is a new position with not clearly defined roles that I may not succeed.  Anyone out there had a similar experience?

Replies

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    July 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I'd say go for it if you get it.  A new position means you can have a lot of power over the direction of the position, etc.  You'll be the first/only so that's exciting.  You can certainly ask very direct questions when they offer it to you to clarify.

Good luck!

• emshab
    by emshab
    July 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I would ask more questions when they make an offer.  Good Luck!

• JeremysMom
    July 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

When I accepted my current position, it was very vague. During the interview, they told me that they didn't know where I would be placed, or exactly what I would be doing, but given those facts, they asked me if I would be able to do the job. It has been the best thing (career wise) that has happened to me. I had to go to a training for my job and while I did learn a bit more about it, I didn't even find out where I was going to be placed until I got back from training.

Anyways, to answer your question. When they offer you the job, I would ask for more details and go from there.

• leahbeah143
    July 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM

If it's a new position, maybe they aren't sure what you'll be doing? You might be the one that ends up getting to define it. 

• calsmom62
    July 8, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    this. good luck!!

Quoting the3Rs:

I'd say go for it if you get it.  A new position means you can have a lot of power over the direction of the position, etc.  You'll be the first/only so that's exciting.  You can certainly ask very direct questions when they offer it to you to clarify.

Good luck!

• CorpCityGrl
    July 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

If it's a new position, then a vague job description is understandable.  If it's a step up, then I say go for it.  This just means that you can make the position what you want it be.  The current position I am in was newly created and had a vague description because the VP didn't really know exactly what direction he wanted to take the position and it's one of the reasons why I took it.  There are no baseline expectations and I make the position my own so it's a great opportunity.

• lazydayz
    July 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Why are you not going to take a promotion just because what they are telling you is a little vague?  Its in the same company... why work just as hard and get paid less... that is just my opinion. Ask for a breakdown of the responsibilities, not turn it down.

• deccaf
    by deccaf
    July 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You can always accept it. However, if it is a new position, and the duties are undefined, it could turn into a job where everyone dumps their stuff on you.

• HotMama330
    July 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

They wouldn't have interviewed you if they thought you weren't qualified.

I'm curious why you think a vague job description would set you up for failure.

Quoting Meritangel:

I am concerned since this is a new position with not clearly defined roles that I may not succeed.

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    July 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    I would take the job. Since it's a new position the responsibilities may not be fully figured out. They probably have general expectations and your role will become clearer as time goes on.

Working Moms